Home boarding licence

Information about animal home boarding licences.

How do I know who holds an animal boarding licence?

Details of current licence holders for Home boarding can be seen on our animal boarding public registers.

We (the Licensing Authority) take our role very seriously and will take action against licensed premises if we have concerns over the welfare of any animals.

On the 22 July 2014, East Riding of Yorkshire Council prosecuted T. Carpenter of Petsitt, South Cave on nine counts of licence condition breach. With immediate effect, the animal boarding licence for this premises has been cancelled.

You can read further details on our licensing news flash page.

Do I need a licence to board animals at home?

If you want to board dogs you will require either a home boarding licence or an animal boarding licence.

If you are unsure which category you fall into you can email the licensing team:

Email: licensing@eastriding.gov.uk

How do I apply for a home boarding licence?

To apply for a home boarding licence you will need to submit:

  • a completed application form
  • a application fee of £70
  • Public Liability Insurance - covered to a minimum of £1 million.

How to apply

To apply, please print the out the application form:

Home boarding application form - dogs (word 82kb opens in new window)

Take your completed form to a  local customer service centre or submit it by post to the Licensing Team:

Licensing Team
East Riding of Yorkshire Council
County Hall
Cross Street
East Riding of Yorkshire
HU17 9BA

Please make cheques payable to 'East Riding of Yorkshire Council'.

Please note: your application cannot be processed without your supporting documents.


Once you have submitted your complete application you will be contacted by a licensing officer, who will arrange to visit and inspect your home.

If you meet all requirements, your licence will be granted and forwarded in due course:

Home Boarding licence conditions - Dogs (word 24kb opens in new window)

If you are unable to meet the requirements for a licence, the officer will arrange to revisit you when you have done additional work on your home.

A tacit (implied without being stated) consent does not apply to this application.

How can I pay for a home boarding licence?

You can pay electronically by credit/debit card by calling:

Tel: (01482) 396297

How do I renew a home boarding licence?

All animal boarding licences run from the 1 January to the 31 December. If a renewal application is not received by the 31 December the animal boarding licence will lapse. 

Please note: if you continue to board animals without a licence you will be committing an offence.

The current fee for renewing your home boarding licence is £70.


Apply online to renew a home boarding licence 

A tacit consent does not apply to this application.

What other permissions may I need?

If you are applying for an animal boarding licence you may also need to contact planning and business rates in relation to the use of your home for a business.

Who regulates animal boarding establishments?

The licensing team is responsible for the licensing and compliance of animal boarding establishments.

If you have concerns about premises operating under a licence, have a complaint or would like to report a business that you are concerned are operating without a licence you can contact us online.

Alternatively, you can email the licensing team: 

Email: licensing@eastriding.gov.uk

Please ensure you provide as much information as you can to help us.

You will be required to give your name and contact details so that we can ensure that the complaint is genuine.

Your details will be kept confidential and will not be disclosed unless the investigation results in a prosecution at which stage your details would have to be disclosed.

What happens if I do not apply for an animal boarding licence?

If you board dogs, providing them accommodation then you will require a boarding establishment licence.

If you are found to be operating without such a licence in place, the licensing team may prosecute.

Warning: It is an offence under the Animal Boarding Act 1963 to board dogs or cats without the appropriate licence, with a maximum fine not exceeding £500 or imprisonment for a term not exceeding 3 months or both.

Last Updated: Wednesday, 09 May 2018