Sheltered housing

Tells you what sheltered council housing is, the types of housing, how to apply and the changes due to take effect from October 2018.

What is sheltered council housing?

Sheltered council housing allows tenants to live independently, whilst having the added security of knowing that someone is available to help in an emergency 24 hours a day. There are sheltered schemes throughout the East Riding offering differing services and with different facilities. Some schemes have resident wardens who are available on site during the working day. Help is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year by using the two-way internal intercom system in all sheltered properties. Residents of sheltered schemes may still need the help and support of friends and relatives, each warden has responsibility for a number of residents and cannot replace this vital support.

The cost of the warden service for sheltered council housing is included in the rent for the property and is eligible for housing benefit.

Tenants of council bungalows and flats where there is no resident warden can also have access to our 24-hour monitoring centre through East Riding lifeline. The service provides a home safety and personal security system via the telephone line, that enables tenants to live independently in their own home.  Three levels of service are available, and a charge is payable dependent on the level of service chosen.  More information is available on our Lifeline web pages.

If you are a pensioner or disabled we can help you look at the options for moving to more suitable accommodation.  We can provide practical help when you move, and if you are in receipt of a means-tested benefit we can provide financial help towards the costs of moving.

To find out more about our Housing Options Advice Service please email housing.services@eastriding.gov.uk or telephone (01482) 396301.

What types of sheltered council housing are there, and where are they?

We have sheltered bungalows and flats in towns and villages across the East Riding.

The following pdf booklet gives details of the types of sheltered properties that we own and in which locations. If you decide to apply for sheltered council accommodation you should check that we have the type of accommodation that you want and in the area that you want to live:

What and Where? A Guide to East Riding of Yorkshire Council, housing association and almhouses rented accommodation in the East Riding (pdf 752kb opens in new window)

For more information on sheltered schemes please get in touch using the details below:

Email: housing.services@eastriding.gov.uk 
Telephone: (01482) 396301.

How do I apply for sheltered council housing?

If you want to apply for sheltered housing you must complete a housing application form and area list.  You can download and print the forms from the following pdf documents.

Housing Application Form (pdf 170kb opens in new window)

Housing Application Area List (pdf 545kb opens in new window)

You must complete and return both forms. They can be handed in at any Customer Service Centre or return them to:

Housing Services
County Hall
Cross Street
HU17 9BA

You can also obtain a form by e-mailing your request to  housing.services@eastriding.gov.uk or by telephoning (01482) 396301.

Properties are allocated in accordance with our council housing allocation policy. We currently have some vacancies in sheltered properties and have no one on our waiting list for them. Telephone (01482) 396301 for more information.

If you need to move on medical grounds, we will look at your housing application form to see if you are eligible to apply.  If you are, we will send you a medical priority application form.

Medical priority applications are assessed by a health authority doctor, who can grant a priority for a type of accommodation, eg. ground floor accommodation. They cannot specify the area or proximity to facilities.

Applicants over 60 years-of-age (at the date of their tenancy starts) who do not have any children in their household, will be granted a secure lifetime tenancy for sheltered accommodation, except where they have a financial interest in another permanent residence.  In this instance, they will be granted a five-year secure flexible tenancy which will be reviewed when that property is sold.

If you are our tenant and pensioner or disabled we can provide practical help when you move, and if you are in receipt of a means-tested benefit we can provide financial help towards the costs of moving.

To find out more about our Housing Options Advice Service, please email housing.services@eastriding.gov.uk or telephone (01482) 396301.

What are the changes to sheltered housing due to take effect from October 2018?

The council has been reviewing its sheltered housing and has undertaken a two-stage consultation process. As a result of the feedback we received from tenants and the wider population of people who may use these services in the future, we can now let you know about the changes the council has decided to make (that will begin to take effect in October 2018). 

The council is committed to providing housing that is of a high standard, offering secure and attractive places for tenants to live, whilst helping to promote independent living. We also want to ensure that the support service is flexible to cater for people’s changing needs, that it offers value for money and is available when people need it.

Under the changes that are being implemented no one will have to move home.

The main changes are summarised below:

  • There will be four designations of housing:
    • General Needs Housing (All ages with a sensitive approach to lettings, which aims to ensure that wherever possible allocations are made to new tenants that broadly match the age profile of current tenants)
    • Housing for Older People (Age 60+ / disabled households)
    • Sheltered Housing (with enhanced eligibility criteria for new tenants)
    • Supported Housing (to meet the care and support needs of more vulnerable residents).
  • Wardens will become part of a geographically based team and will be called ‘Welfare Support Workers’. 
  • Tenants will have more flexibility and choice about their level of support and what they pay for.


Will the changes to sheltered housing affect me financially?

The financial implications for current tenants will vary depending on personal circumstances and support requirements. For example:

  • Tenants who pay for their support and wish to continue with the same amount of visits will be charged no more than the current weekly warden charge of £17.93 regardless of their housing designation.  
  • Tenants who choose to change the level of support they receive will pay in accordance with a revised schedule of charges, but this will be no more than the maximum weekly charge of £17.93 and where support reduces it will be less.  
  • Tenants in receipt of housing benefit and who want to continue receiving support from the service will continue to have this funded by the Council, irrespective of the new housing designations.

Frequently asked questions

Some frequently asked questions and example scenarios about how our current tenants are affected are provided here:

Frequently Asked Questions and example scenarios (pdf 47kb)

Upcoming information sessions

The council is running a series of information sessions for our sheltered housing tenants and their family members, carers or friends. Details are provided here:

Upcoming information sessions (pdf 48kb)

Consultation process

You can read more about the council’s consultation process in the document below:

Sheltered housing review consultation results (pdf 522kb)

Incorrect letters sent to sheltered housing residents

If you have received an incorrect letter about your sheltered housing, we are aware that a mistake has been made in the production of these letters and a revised letter with the correct information has been sent out on Friday 4 May. We apologise for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

Last Updated: Friday, 04 May 2018