LevelCollection
Finding NoDDBG
Extent0.26 cu.m. (26 boxes)
TitleBRIDLINGTON HIGH SCHOOL FOR GIRLS OLD GIRLS ASSOCIATION RECORDS
Date1904-2018
DescriptionIncludes Old Girls Association records including minutes 1911-1970, address lists 1911-1996, accounts 1929-1950, reunion files 1917-2002, magazines 1976-2018, panorama and other photographs of pupils and staff 20th century and database of photographs 2008. With additional records for Bridlington High School deposited 11 Dec 2007 including Governors' minute book 1904-1910, administrative records 1905-1945, boarding house records 1936-1961, school magazines 1910-1975, speech day reports and programmes 1917-1975 (with gaps), musical concerts and sports day programmes 1913-1976 (with gaps) and various prospectuses 20th century. With additional records for Bridlington High School deposited 10 May 2010 including Governors' minutes 1910-1974, staff registers 1909-1959, staff contracts 1914-1927, staff correspondence 1905-1981, admissions registers 1905-1973 (with gaps), admission certificates 1910-1945, pupils' log books 1905-1972, committee minutes 1905-1924 and stock books 1950s-1970. With additional records for Bridlington High School deposited 3 Aug 2011 including staff contracts 1927, North Cliff House records 1908-1913, tenancy agreements 1904-1931, maintenance agreements 1914-1924 and insurance policies 1907-1926.
AdminHistoryBridlington High School for Girls was established and partly supported by the East Riding County Council and Bridlington Corporation. The first meeting of the governors of the High School was held in Mar 1905, when it was decided to accept a lease of The Elms and grounds with an option to purchase. The school opened with 20 pupils on 26 Sep 1905. It was for girls from 7-19 years of age. By 1909 school numbers had reached 100. In 1910 the White Hall was opened and then enlarged in 1913. During 1926-1927 and 1932 various extensions and alterations were made. From being a preparatory, junior and main school, it became a selective grammar school under the 1944 Education Act. The school closed as a High School in 1974, when it merged with Bridlington Grammar School to become the comprehensive Bridlington School. The school buildings were closed in 2001 and were demolished in 2007. The pupils and administrative records were transferred to its successor school. Various records have been donated to Bridlington Library, for more information see reference DDBG/1/22/2.
AccessStatusOpen
PlaceCodeNA1140
SubjectPHOTOGRAPHS
SCHOOLS
MAGAZINES
TEACHERS
WOMENS GROUPS
SPORT
Places
CodeSet
NA1140BRIDLINGTON/BRIDLINGTON/BRIDLINGTON/YORKSHIRE EAST RIDING
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2019