LevelCollection
Finding NoDDHH
Extent0.34 cu.m. (34 boxes)
TitleHOTHAM HALL ESTATE RECORDS
Date1555-c.1980
DescriptionIncludes manorial records 1593-1916; Hotham Estate deeds 1588-1914; deeds relating to other properties 1555-1864; estate management records 1713-c.1980; family records [1641]-c.1985; Hotham and North Cave records 1830-1903; Hotham and North Cave schools records 1772-1903; Market Weighton Drainage records c.1772-1891; Boston House, Middlesex, records 1816-1919; 16 Upper Brook Street, London, records 1834-1857; Brentford Turnpike Road and other records 1769-1884; regimental records 1810-1917.
AdminHistoryHotham Hall was long associated with the ancient family of Hotham. A number of families have however owned the Hall and its substantial estate. The Hall itself stands in a park of 150 acres, roughly 1 mile north of the village of Hotham, and a west wing was added to this building in 1871. One of the early owners of the Hotham Estate was the Metham family but by the 19th century the property was in the possession of the Burton family. This family was very active in politics and a number of them ran for office in Parliamentary elections. This included the American-born Napier Christie Burton, Robert Christie Burton in 1818 and Henry Burton in 1830. Robert Christie Burton was however imprisoned in the Fleet for debt and had to be represented at the poll by his uncle. Through Sarah Burton of Hotham Hall the estate passed to her son, Colonel John Christie Clitherow, who died in 1865. Colonel Clitherow's son, Edward John Stracey Clitherow (born c.1820 in Great Marylebone, London), then inherited his father's estate. Edward was also a colonel as well as a local Justice of the Peace and governor of Giggleswick Grammar School. The Hotham Estate later passed to Edward's son, John Bourchier Stracey Clitherow, and then in turn to his son Thomas Claud Clitherow. Thomas was involved in a company named 'The Bostonian Land and Investment Company of London'. A resolution was passed on 22 July 1954 that the Company would be wound up and on 25 March 1955 the Hotham Estate was placed in liquidation. This included 2158 acres of farmland; cottages, shops and gardens amounting to 22 acres; 108 acres of woods and plantation land; and 2240 acres of land in North Cave, Drewton and Everthorpe. Thomas Claud Clitherow died at Hotham on 1 May 1963. Sources: http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/YKS/ERY/Northcave/Northcave92.html http://www.cave-kids.com/cave_history/cave-parish.htm'Beverley, 1700-1835: Parliamentary Elections' in 'A History of the County of York, East Riding Volume 6, The borough and liberties of Beverley' (1989), pp126-131
AccessStatusOpen
PlaceCodeNA1372
NA1528
NA1510
SubjectFAMILY AND ESTATE RECORDS
SCHOOLS
DRAINAGE
MANORIAL RECORDS
DEEDS
TURNPIKE TRUSTS
ARMY
Places
CodeSet
NA1372HOTHAM/HOTHAM/YORKSHIRE EAST RIDING
NA1528NORTH CAVE/NORTH CAVE/NORTH CAVE/YORKSHIRE EAST RIDING
NA1510MARKET WEIGHTON/MARKET WEIGHTON/YORKSHIRE EAST RIDING
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2019