LevelCollection
Finding NoDDYC
Extent0.13 cu.m. (13 boxes)
TitleEAST RIDING YEOMANRY OLD COMRADES ASSOCIATION RECORDS
Datec.1903-2000
DescriptionIncludes minutes 1948-1994, membership records 1947-1976, administrative records 1946-1998, correspondence 1970s-2000, records relating to visits 1983-1995, notebooks 1918-1944, photographs 20th century, miscellaneous historical records 1914-1999 and printed material 20th century. Also a collection of research records deposited by Paul Mace for his book 'Forrad The Story of the East Riding Yeomanry'. Includes typed drafts of the book 1990s, questionnaires completed by members of the Yeomanry 1990s, historical records 1940-1990s, photograph album 1940s, correspondence 1990s and printed material 1990s.
AdminHistoryThe regiment was founded in 1902. Lord Wenlock raised it with the title of East Riding of Yorkshire Imperial Yeomanry, subsequently the 'Imperial' was dropped. The regiment was confirmed as cavalry rather than mounted infantry. The first headquarters and barracks were at Walton Street, Hull, which were used for administration and training. In 1915 the Yeomanry were sent to Egypt and were later in action in Palestine. After being brought back to England they were converted into a machine-gun battalion and at the beginning of 1918 sent to France. After the First World War the Regiment was disbanded but reformed in 1919 as the 26th Armoured Car Company, Royal Tank Corps. In 1938 with the threat of the Second World War looming the Company was expanded to the status of an armoured reconnaissance regiment and became the 1st East Riding Yeomanry, a second line was formed the following year. The 1st East Yorkshire Yeomanry saw action in France in 1940 defending Cassel until the evening of 29th May and left on 30th but was completely surrounded by the Germans. Therefore some members spent the War as prisoners of war. The remains of the 1st East Riding Yeomanry were gathered at Bovington after their return from Dunkirk and amalgamated with the 2nd East Riding Yeomanry. They took part in nearly every major battle from the beaches of D Day to the invasion of Germany. In Mar 1947 the East Riding Yeomanry was reconstituted in the Territorial Army with their headquarters at Hull and continued until 1956 when it was amalgamated with two other Yorkshire Regiments to become 'C' Squadron of Queen's Own Yorkshire Yeomanry. This was reduced to a cadre in 1968 and reformed as a squadron of The Queen's Own Yeomanry in 1972. Shortly after the end of World War II at a meeting of ex-members of the East Riding Yeomanry, an Old Comrades Association was formed and reunions and dinners continue to take place. [2007]
AccessStatusOpen
PlaceCodeNA1020
NA2255
SubjectARMY
FIRST WORLD WAR
SECOND WORLD WAR
WAR MEMORIALS
PHOTOGRAPHS
NEWSPAPERS
PRISONERS OF WAR
MILITARY CLUBS
DIARIES
Places
CodeSet
NA1020YORKSHIRE EAST RIDING/YORKSHIRE EAST RIDING
NA2255NETHERLANDS/NETHERLANDS
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2019