Mental health advice for older people

How to get support with age related mental health, services that are available and are they free. 

How do I get support with age-related mental health issues?

Information on how to access services offered by the council, can be found on the access to social care page.

You can also seek help from your GP.

The following organisations provide support to older people with age related mental health issues.

The Alzheimer’s society website provides information about what they do to help older people.

Alzheimer's society - care services (external website)

Information about conditions and illnesses that Age UK can offer support for can be found on their website.

Age UK - conditions and illnesses (external website)

What services are available for people with age-related mental health issues?

The council offers a range of services for older people who are experiencing a mental health issue such as:

  • functional difficulty, such as depression or anxiety
  • organic difficulty, such as dementia type illnesses
  • support to carers and families of people with mental health issues.

Council-run services

  • Specialist social workers who can be accessed through the care management teams. You can open the document on the access to social care page for further information. 
  • Safeguarding adults team who can be contacted if you are concerned that an older person with mental health issues is being abused or is at risk of abuse, or if you have a concern about a specific incident relating to abuse.
  • A short term assessment and reablement service (STARS).
  • Residential accommodation both permanent and respite care is available.
  • Daytime opportunities.
  • Help in your own home. You can access further information about help in your home on the staying safe at home page.

Commissioned services

The council also commissions services which are provided by other organisations, which include:

  • Home care providers 
  • Residential care homes
  • Independent mental capacity advocate (IMCA) and generic advocacy.

Further information about the mental capacity advocate can be found on the Department of Health website.

Department of Health (external website)

Alzheimer’s society

Further information about what the Alzheimer's society offer can be found on their website.

Alzheimer's society - what we do (external website)

Age UK 

Further information about what Age UK offer can be found on their website.

Age UK - what we do (external website)


Further information about what Rethink offer can be found on their website.

Rethink - what we do (external website)

Statutory partners

The council works closely with the local primary care trust and the Humber NHS Foundation Trust who are commissioned to provide a range of specialist services, including:

  • in-patient services for people detained under the Mental Health Act 1983
  • support in the community.

Humber NHS Foundation Trust - accessing mental health services in Hull and the East Riding (external website) 

The single point of access to lots of information on services.

Are services free?

This depends upon your individual circumstances. Further information can be found on the paying for care services page.