Animal feeding stuffs

Register an animal feed business with the council and find further information on animal feed legislation.

What are animal feeding stuffs?

Animal feed plays an important part in the food chain and has implications for the composition and quality of the livestock products (milk, meat and eggs) that people consume. The Food Standards Agency (FSA) is responsible for drawing up the rules on the composition and marketing of animal feed.

The rules mainly apply to feed for farmed livestock but also covers feed for what are called "non-food producing animals". This typically means animals kept in zoos, circuses and laboratories, creatures living freely in the wild, and pets. It does not include horses and rabbits, which since 1 September 2010 have been classified as food-producing animals.

How is animal feed controlled?

The Food Standards Agency FSA is responsible for improving food safety right through the food chain. This includes improving hygiene on the farm and ensuring that human health is not put at undue risk through what is fed to animals.

The FSA helps create the rules on animal feed. The animal health team at the council deal with movement licensing, animal by-products and welfare issues.

Since 1 January 2006 new feed hygiene regulations came into place. These apply to all businesses that make, use or market animal feeds, including farms.

The animal feed business register

The animal feed business register is a public document that lists most of the feed businesses in the East Riding.

What are the feed hygiene regulations and who is affected?

They contain various conditions which feed businesses must comply with, as appropriate.

These are split into three parts, as follows:

Part I

This covers provisions applicable to businesses involved in primary production (for example, farms).

It includes general hygiene and record-keeping requirements.

Part II

This applies to businesses operating other than at the level of primary production.

It contains standards similar to those that currently apply to those premises previously approved or registered under The Feeding Stuffs (Establishment and Intermediaries) Regulations 1999.

These relate to facilities, personnel, quality control, storage and transport and record-keeping.

Part III

This section relates to good animal feeding practices for food-producing animals.

It includes the requirements for stable and feeding equipment, storage of feed, distribution, feed and water and personnel.

Please note: the above is only a brief outline of the requirements and intended to provide basic guidance. It is not a complete or authoritative statement of the law. 

Who is affected by the legislation?

Since 1 January 2006, feed hygiene legislation has applied to farmers, growers and other producers, in many cases for the first time, as part of the 'farm to fork' approach to food safety.

The Food Standards Agency (FSA) website has guidance on the legislation for farming and feed businesses:

Food Standards Agency - Farming and Animal Feed (external website)

The aim of the legislation is to complete the 'farm to fork' approach of food law so that the whole of the food chain is covered by hygiene legislation.

Please note: retailers that only sell pet food are not affected by this legislation.

Where can I get further information on animal feed?

If you are not registered please contact by:

Email: feeds@eastriding.gov.uk
Tel: (01482) 396301

The council is committed to assisting feed businesses by providing links to industry guidance notes which can be viewed below:

Animals and agriculture

For the law on the welfare of livestock, including transport, diseases, animal/pet feed and disposal:

Business companion - Animals and agriculture quick guide (external website)

Mixing feed on farm

For the requirements for the mixing of feeding stuffs, depending on the use of additives or premixtures:

Business companion - Mixing feed on-farm (external website)

Transport of animal feedingstuffs

For the legal requirements of transporting animal feedingstuffs:

Business companion - Feed hygiene for transporters and haulier (external website)

Hygiene of feed production, record keeping and traceability

For guidance on the hygiene of feed production, record keeping and traceability:

Business companion - Feed hygiene for farmers and grower (external website)

Legal implications of making pet food at home

For the legal implications of making pet food at home, including the need for registration and approval:

Business companion - Manufacturing your own pet food (external website)

Law regarding labelling of pet food

For the law regarding the labelling of pet food:

Business companion - The retail sale of pet food (external website)

Need further advice?

If you are a newly-registered food business (registered within the previous year) and are unable to find the answer to your query in the guidance on this page please contact the Food Standards Team:

Email: feeds@eastriding.gov.uk 

Stay connected

Sign up for the latest news and updates from East Riding of Yorkshire Council.

We will use GovDelivery to send you emails, it is secure and you can choose to stop receiving emails at any time. Find out more in our Privacy notice.