Accident investigation

How to report an accident at work.

How do I report an accident at work?

Employers, the self-employed and those in control of the premises must report certain workplace accidents and incidents to the Health and Safety Executive, under the Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations 2013 (RIDDOR).

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) website can provide more details.

Health and Safety Executive (external website)

Reporting a workplace accident or incident

All reports must be directed to the incident contact centre by either:

Out-of-hours contact details

The HSE and council enforcement officers are not an emergency service. You should, however, contact your enforcing authority out-of-hours in the following circumstances:

  • fatal accidents at work
  • accidents where several workers have been seriously injured
  • accidents resulting in serious injury to a member of the public
  • accidents and incidents causing major disruption.

The HSE website provides information on how they can be contacted out-of-hours:

Health and Safety Executive (external website)

Subscribe to East Riding of Yorkshire Council

Stay updated on the latest East Riding news

We use GovDelivery to send you emails, which is secure and you can choose to stop receiving emails at any time.

Find out more in our Privacy notice.

Subscribe to East Riding News