Public event safety

Information on health and safety requirements for holding a public event.

Where can I get information on running a public event safely?

The Events Safety Advisory Group (ESAG) has been set up to provide advice and guidance to organisers of public events in the East Riding of Yorkshire Council area. The core members of the group are senior officers from specific emergency services working in the council area (Police and Fire and Rescue Service) and council services (highways and public protection).

The ESAG's main objectives are:

  • to promote high levels of safety and welfare at events by giving advice
  • to promote good practice in safety and welfare planning for events
  • to ensure events cause minimal adverse impact.

All comments and observation made by ESAG are always advisory. It has no statutory compulsion and organisers are under no obligation to submit information, attend ESAG meetings, or follow ESAG's advice, however, each of the constituent members has their own regulatory role and may exercise their powers independently.

You can contact the group by:


What type of events are the safety advisory group interested in?

In some cases, for large events with high number of attendees you maybe invited to the council's Events Safety Advisory Group (ESAG). Typically, this would be for events with high risk activities and/or over 1000 attendees.

If there are high risk activities at your event, or there is proposed to be in excess of 1000 attendees please contact to check if you need to attend. If you could also provide your event plan this may help us in determining if you will be invited to the ESAG.

Examples of events the event safety advisory group would inspect include the following:

  • Fetes and fairs
  • Open air trade shows
  • Sporting events
  • Horse shows, agricultural shows, dog shows, car/caravan shows and similar
  • Open air entertainment including concerts, music festivals, theatre, opera and historic re-enactments
  • Firework displays
  • Large scale company parties
  • Processions, marches and carnivals
  • Road races
  • Street parties
  • Charity stunts
  • Religious events
  • Events in buildings that are not licensed under the Licensing Act 2003.

Where can I get information on inflatable play equipment safety?

There have been a number of fatalities and serious incidents nationally in recent years where bouncy castles and similar inflatable devices have collapsed or blown away in windy or adverse conditions. The council's Health, Safety and Licensing Service is currently running a safety campaign to improve the safety and management of inflatable amusement devices by increasing the level of awareness of the risks, safety and management best practice.

Health and Safety law applies to the supply, hire and use of inflatables for commercial purposes. The council has produced guidance documents covering best practice for businesses hiring devices and details their responsibilities included testing of equipment, ensuring they carry out risk assessments and comply with the appropriate safety legislation and ensuring their devices are correctly insured.

Hirers such as event organisers can take simple precautions to help avoid serious incidents. The council has produced guidance documents covering best practice for hirers which includes who's responsible, what to check before hiring and what checks to carry out on the day of hiring.

ERYC HSL Inflatables Guidance (Hirer) (pdf 603kb)

Council officers will be carrying out safety spot checks on bouncy castles and similar inflatable devices over the coming months to check and have powers to take action against businesses that are failing to comply with the law.

ERYC HSL Inflatables Guidance (Operator) (pdf 88kb)

The Health and Safety Executive website provides information on inflatable play equipment safety:

Health and Safety Executive - Inflatable play equipment (external website)

How do I consider event safety?

Good planning and organisation are essential to putting on an event that is both safe and enjoyable. For many events all that is required is to follow a basic series of steps. For help and support on planning a safe event please visit the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) website at:

HSE - Event safety (external website)

If you wish to hold an event on the council's land, including the highway for a street party. You will need to make an application to the council. For full information on making an application, the online form and contacts for the relevant teams, please visit the Organising an event on council land page.

On the 24 February 2022 the Government most COVID-19 restrictions ending, however, COVID-19 remains a risk and the Government guidance should be followed. For more information, please visit the Government COVID-19 working safely guidance for events on the link below:

GOV.UK - Events and attractions (external website)

Is there any new legislation that may affect my event?

New legislation was introduced on 1 October 2023 which may affect event organisers and businesses operating at events. The new legislation is The Environmental Protection (Plastic Plates etc and Polystyrene Containers etc) Regulations 2023, it restricts the use of single plastic plates, bowls and trays and bans the use of single use cutlery items, balloon sticks and food or drink containers, to tackle plastic pollution.

Businesses could find themselves facing a fine if they are breaking the new law, so council officers are educating and advising local businesses, so that they can meet the new requirements.

For full information please take a look at the Government guidance for businesses (external website - GOV.UK).

Additional advice for businesses can be obtained by contacting the council at

Subscribe to East Riding of Yorkshire Council

Stay updated on the latest East Riding news

We use GovDelivery to send you emails, which is secure and you can choose to stop receiving emails at any time.

Find out more in our Privacy notice.

Subscribe to East Riding News