Smoking prohibition

How to complain about smoking in public places.

How do I complain about smoking in public places?

Smoke-free premises

If they are totally or substantially enclosed, smoking is not allowed in all:

  • business premises
  • public places
  • common parts of multi-occupied premises.

There are certain exemptions to premises where people both live and work, for example, prisons, residential homes and hospices.

All these premises must display the appropriate signage.

Smoke-free vehicles

Smoking is also not allowed in all:

  • buses
  • trains
  • taxis and private hire vehicles
  • vehicles used at a workplace by more than one person.

All these vehicles must display the appropriate signage.

To make a complaint in relation to smoking in public places

Contact the Health, Safety and Licensing Service by:


Subscribe to East Riding of Yorkshire Council

Stay updated on the latest East Riding news

We use GovDelivery to send you emails, which is secure and you can choose to stop receiving emails at any time.

Find out more in our Privacy notice.

Subscribe to East Riding News