Apply online for a personal licence
An applicant for a personal licence will need to submit the following documents to the licensing authority in the area were they are permanently resident. Applicants from Scotland may apply to any authority in England and Wales. You will need:
- personal licence application form
- disclosure of convictions and declaration
- original certificate of level two award for personal licence holders or national certificate for personal licence holders (details of all valid qualifications can be seen in Personal Licence application guidance)
- a photocopy of evidence of your right to work in the UK (see guidance notes on application form)
- basic police check (less than 30 days old)
- two certified passport photographs
- the fee of £37.
Personal licence qualification providers (pdf 16kb)Disclosure of Convictions and Civil Penalties Declaration. (word 27kb)Personal Licence Guidance Notes on Right to Work. (word 60kb)
Applications can be submitted direct to the licensing authority by post to:
East Riding of Yorkshire
Or you can submit your application at a customer service centre, where a member of staff can check your application and take copies of your original documents.
If the applicant does not have any relevant convictions the personal licence will be granted. The applicant will receive their personal licence certificate and photo identification card in the post.
If the applicant has relevant convictions the licensing section will notify the police licensing section who will be given 14 days to make an objection to the application.
If the police do not object to the application the personal licence will be granted. If the police do object then the applicant will be informed and invited to either a mediation session or a committee hearing to determine whether the licence may be granted.
A tacit consent applies to this application and comes into effect 14 days following submission.
If you already hold a personal licence and want to change the licence in anyway, you will need to apply to the licensing authority for further information on how to change the details of your personal licence see below.
For help with completing the application form, you can contact the licensing team by: