Personal licences

What a personal licence is, what a designated premises supervisor is, what happens if you do apply for a personal licence. Also, how to apply and pay for a licence, how change it and who regulates a personal licence.

Who has applied for a personal licence?

If you would like to see who has applied for a personal licence in the last two months you can view our public register.

What is a personal licence?

A personal licence allows a person to sell or authorise the sale of alcohol, within a licensed premise.

In order to apply for a personal licence you must be over the age of 18 years and have obtained the level two award for personal licence holders or the national certificate of personal licence holders.

A personal licence holder must notify the licensing authority every time they move house, change their name, or they are convicted of a relevant offence.

Failure to do so is an offence under The Licensing Act 2003 and subject to a fine not exceeding £500.

Do I need a personal licence?


If you want to be a designated premises supervisor for any premises you will be required to hold a valid personal licence.


If you want to work in alcohol-licensed premises you can without a personal licence, unless you are going to be named on the premises licence as the designated premises supervisor.

How do I apply for a personal licence?

Apply online for a personal licence

An applicant for a personal licence will need to submit the following supporting documents to the licensing authority in the area where they are permanently resident. If you are applying to East Riding of Yorkshire Council, these documents can be uploaded with the online application or alternatively emailed to your application reference number. Applicants from Scotland may apply to any authority in England and Wales.

You will need:

  • personal licence application form
  • disclosure of convictions and declaration
  • original certificate of level two award for personal licence holders or national certificate for personal licence holders (details of all valid qualifications can be seen in Personal Licence application guidance)
  • a photocopy of evidence of your right to work in the UK (see guidance notes on application form)
  • basic police check (less than 30 days old)
  • two certified passport photographs as follows:
    (i) taken against a light background so that the applicant’s features are distinguishable and contrast against the background
    (ii) full-face uncovered and without sunglasses and, unless the applicant wears a head covering due to his religious beliefs, without a head covering
    (iii) one of which is endorsed with a statement verifying the likeness of the photograph to the applicant by a solicitor, notary, a person of standing in the community or any individual with a professional qualification. The photograph must be signed, dated and occupation listed when endorsing the photograph.
  • the fee of £37.

Personal Licence Qualification Providers (pdf 107kb)

Disclosure of Convictions and Civil Penalties Declaration (pdf 127kb)

Personal Licence Guidance Notes on Right to Work (pdf 102kb)

Applications can be submitted direct to the licensing authority by post to:

Licensing Authority
County Hall
Cross Street
East Riding of Yorkshire
HU17 9BA.

Or you can submit your application at a customer service centre, where a member of staff can check your application and take copies of your original documents. Please contact the customer service centre in advance to make an appointment.

If the applicant does not have any relevant convictions the personal licence will be granted. The applicant will receive their personal licence certificate and photo identification card in the post.

If the applicant has relevant convictions the licensing section will notify the police licensing section who will be given 14 days to make an objection to the application.

If the police do not object to the application the personal licence will be granted. If the police do object then the applicant will be informed and invited to either a mediation session or a committee hearing to determine whether the licence may be granted.

A tacit consent applies to this application and comes into effect 14 days following submission.

If you already hold a personal licence and want to change the licence in anyway, you will need to apply to the licensing authority for further information on how to change the details of your personal licence see below.

For help with completing the application form, you can contact the licensing team by:


How do I renew my personal licence?

From 1 April 2015, the requirement to renew a personal licence has been abolished. A personal licence will now remain in force, unless surrendered or forfeited by a court.

How can I pay for a personal licence?

A personal licence application cannot be processed without it being accompanied by the mandatory fee of £37. If using the online form payment can be made at the end of the form.

An application fee can be paid over the telephone by calling the Licensing team on (01482) 396297.

What is a designated premises supervisor?

Every premises licensed to sell alcohol must have an individual listed on the licence that is responsible for the authorisation of the sale of alcohol.

The individual listed as the designated premises supervisor, will normally have the day to day control of the licensed premises and must hold a valid personal licence issued under The Licensing Act 2003.

Further information on applying for a personal licence can be found under personal licence category.

A designated premises supervisor maybe liable for any offences committed under The Licensing Act 2003.

How do I change my personal licence?

Change of personal licence online

Change of name or address of a personal licence holder

In order to change your name or address on your personal licence, you can complete the online application form. This will incur a fee of £10.50 which can be paid at the end of completing the online form. You can also change your photograph on your personal licence at the same time as a change of name or address.

Please email to request a change.

If you wish to replace the photograph only on your personal licence ID badge or if you require a replacement ID badge, you will need to contact the licensing team by email at as there is a separate process to follow and an administrative fee of £20 is payable.

Who regulates personal licences?

The issuing and regulating of personal licence is done by the licensing authority, a personal licence can commit offences under The Licensing Act 2003.

Personal licence holders offences under the Licensing Act 2003.

The Licensing Act 2003 sets out a list of relevant offences; these apply to personal licence holders and premises.

List of all relevant offences (pdf 51kb)

The licensing authority and Humberside Police can prosecute for offences under The Licensing Act 2003.

If you are a personal licence holder and you are convicted for any relevant offence or any offence under The Licensing Act 2003, to view relevant offences under The Licensing Act 2003 for personal licence holder please see PDF document above on personal licence holder offences.

You must notify the licensing authority immediately, and return your licence and badge for your conviction to be added to you licence.

The licensing authority will then inform Humberside Police licensing team of the conviction; the police then have 14 days to object to your personal licence.

If the police do object to your personal licence, the matter will be put before the licensing sub-committee for them to decide whether you can keep your personal licence.

Can I surrender my personal licence?

If you no longer require your personal licence, you will need to inform the licensing authority in writing and return both the paper and card personal licence.

Please email us:

What happens if I do not apply for a personal licence?

You cannot be listed on a premises licence as the designated premises supervisor unless you hold a valid personal licence.

Subscribe to East Riding of Yorkshire Council

Stay updated on the latest East Riding news

We use GovDelivery to send you emails, which is secure and you can choose to stop receiving emails at any time.

Find out more in our Privacy notice.

Subscribe to East Riding News