Temporary event notices

What a temporary event notice is, how to apply for a notice, who regulates and enforces event notices and what happens if you do not apply.

How do I know if a temporary event notice has been applied for?

If you would like to know whether an event has been covered by a temporary event notice, you can view our public register where all temporary event notices received within the last 30 days are shown.

Public registers for alcohol, entertainment and food - please click on the button below:

Alcohol, entertainment and food public registers

What is a temporary event notice?

A temporary event notice, allows for licensable activities to be undertaken on a short-term basis, for a maximum of 168 hours (7 days) for any one event.

A temporary event notice may be used to cover outside functions, extensions to licensed hours for licensed premises, charity events and weddings, and so on.

How do I apply for temporary event notice?

Standard temporary event notices

A minimum of 10 working days prior to an event, you must give a copy of a temporary event notice to the Licensing Authority with the required fee of £21.

Please note: 10 working days notice does not include bank holidays or weekends, and does not count the day you serve the application or the day that the event starts as part of the 10 working days.

Also, you must give one copy to the police Licensing Team and the East Riding of Yorkshire council's Environmental Control Team. The application below serves all 3 copies for you.

How to apply

You must refer to the following guidance notes when completing the online form below:

Apply for a Standard Temporary Event Notice online

Alternatively, you can apply using the hard copy form which can be requested via email on licensing@eastriding.gov.uk

Late temporary event notices

You are able to submit a limited number of late temporary event notices each calendar year.

A late temporary event notice is one served 5 - 9 days working days before the event.

Please note: 5 working days' notice does not include the day the notice is given or the day of the event. Working days' notice does not include bank holidays or weekends.

A personal licence holder is limited to 10 late temporary event notices each calendar year and a non-personal licence holder is limited to 2 late temporary event notices each year.

Any temporary event notice submitted with less than 5 working days notice before the event will be rejected by the licensing authority and a counter-notice served on you.

If you proceeded with an event after a counter-notice had been issued by the licensing authority this would be an offence under Section 136 of The Licensing Act 2003.

How to apply

You must refer to the following guidance notes when completing the online form below:

What happens after I apply for a temporary event notice?

Online Notices

Your notice will be processed within 24 hours of being received by the Licensing Authority, the automated email response you get is your temporary event notice acknowledgement and you should keep a copy of your acknowledgment and form on site during the event.

Please note: a temporary event notice cannot be changed once acknowledged by the Licensing Authority.

You can cancel a temporary event notice up to 24 hours before the event is going to take place, this event will then not count towards your yearly allowance of temporary event notices. However, your application fee cannot be refunded.

Hard Copy Notices

Your notice will be processed within 24 hours of being received by the Licensing Authority and you will receive a signed copy of your temporary event notice by email (if an email address is provided) or via post, if no email address is provided.

How many temporary event notices can I apply for?

Temporary event notices are subject to the restrictions below:

  • no more than 20 events or 26 days to be covered for any one premise within a calendar year
  • a personal licence holder may apply for a maximum of 50 events in the calendar year 2022 and 2023
  • a non-personal licence may only apply for a maximum of 5 events in the calendar year 2022 and 2023
  • no two temporary event notices can be applied for for the same premise without a break period of 24 hours between events
  • no more than 499 persons at any time, including all staff and performers
  • no temporary event notice can exceed 168 hours/7 days in time.

If any of the limitations are exceeded the application will be rejected. If the applicant still wants to go ahead with the event you will be required to apply for a premises licence or club premises certificate.

Can anyone object to my temporary event notice?

Humberside Police and East Riding of Yorkshire council's Environmental Control Team as responsible authorities can object to your temporary event notice if they believe that your event would undermine any of the 4 licensing objectives as follows:

  • Prevention of Crime and Disorder
  • Public Safety
  • Prevention of Public Nuisance
  • Protection of children from harm.

Once you submitted your temporary event notice, both responsible authorities have a maximum of 3 working days to submit an objection to the Licensing Authority.

On a standard temporary event notice if an objection is received then the licensing authority will arrange a committee hearing to determine your notice.

At this time the committee could opt to acknowledge the temporary event notice, add conditions to the temporary event or reject the temporary event notice.

On a late temporary event notice, if an objection is received the temporary event notice will be rejected and a counter notice served and your event will not be authorised. 

Who regulates and enforces temporary event notices?

The Licensing Authority will monitor and track the number of temporary event notices issued to ensure not limits are exceeded.

If a temporary event notice is going to or may cause a noise nuisance, this may be able to be dealt by the Environmental Health Team.

What happens if I do not apply for a temporary event notice?

If you were to proceed with an event that included a licensable activity without the correct permission in place, the event would be unlicensed and therefore an offence under section 136 of The Licensing Act 2003, and on summary of conviction this offence holds an unlimited fine and/or six months imprisonment.

What other permissions may I need? 

If you are applying to sell alcohol or late night refreshment, and the location of your sales will be outside on a street or on private land to which the public will have free access then you will also require a street trader's consent.

Stay connected

Sign up for the latest news and updates from East Riding of Yorkshire Council.

We will use GovDelivery to send you emails, it is secure and you can choose to stop receiving emails at any time. Find out more in our Privacy notice.