Motor salvage operator licences

Do you need a licence to be a motor salvage operator, how to apply and pay for a license, what happens if you don't apply and how to report an unlicensed motor salvage operator. 

What is Motor Salvage?

Motor salvage is any of the below

  • Wholly or in part recovering salvageable parts from motor vehicles for reuse or resale, then sells the rest of the vehicle for scrap
  • Wholly or mainly involves buying written off vehicles, then repairing and selling them off
  • Wholly or mainly buys or sells motor vehicles for the purpose of salvaging parts from them or repairing them and selling them off.

If your business involves any of the above you will require a Scrap Metal Dealers Licence. 

Stay connected

Sign up for the latest news and updates from East Riding of Yorkshire Council.

We will use GovDelivery to send you emails, it is secure and you can choose to stop receiving emails at any time. Find out more in our Privacy notice.