You can apply for a petroleum storage certificate by one of the following means:
Apply online for a petroleum storage certificate
Complete and return the application form below:
Petroleum storage certificate application (pdf 724kb)
Please note: to return an application form please contact the Health and Safety Team
In writing or email to the Health & Safety team for a copy of the form:
Please note: the application must be submitted together with the appropriate fee.
In writing to:
Health, Safety and Licensing Manager
Housing, Transport and Public Protection
East Riding of Yorkshire Council
Do I need to provide information or evidence with the application?
For new applications please provide:
- a drawing (scale 1:100) of the layout of the premises
- a drawing (scale 1:100) of the containment system for petrol at the dispensing premises including storage tanks and pipework
- a drawing (scale 1:100) of the drainage system for petrol at the dispensing premises
- payment of the appropriate fee.
You are advised to contact the Health & Safety team and speak to us as early as possible for further guidance.
How much will it cost?
The fee payable for a certificate or the renewal of a certificate depends on the quantity of petroleum being stored and the annual period applied for.
The current fees (per year) are:
Licence to keep in a work place (each year of certificate)
- storage not exceeding 2,500 litres: £45.00
- storage exceeding 2,500 litres but not exceeding 50,000 litres: £61.00
- storage exceeding 50,000 litres: £128.00
- the cost of transferring a licence: £8.00
- land search response on historic sites: £100 plus VAT.
Licence to keep petrol in a non-workplace (each year of certificate)
- not exceeding 2500 litres: £45
- exceeding 2500 but not exceeding 5000 litres: £61
- exceeding 5000 litres: £128
- the cost of transferring a licence: £8.00.
Storage certificates may be granted on an annual basis, up to a maximum of 10 years.
Fees are not refundable neither can refunds be given where:
- trading ceases, or
- transfers to another take place part way through any certification period.
Please bear this in mind especially when applying for longer periods of certification.