Petroleum storage certificates

Do you need to apply for a certificate, when to make an application, how to play for a certificate and how long will the process take. Will your premises be inspected, conditions that attached to the certificate, how to renew/transfer a certificate and who to contact.

Do I need to apply for a petroleum storage certificate and what happens if I do not apply?

Petroleum means any product of crude petroleum that has a flashpoint below 21°C. This includes petrol, benzene, pentane and any mixture that contains these products and has a flashpoint below 21°C. This does not include white spirit, paraffin, diesel oil or fuel oils. 

Guidance regarding the storage of other oils can be found on the GOV.UK website:

GOV.UK - Oil storage regulations (external website)

The council is the petroleum enforcing authority for the storage of petroleum spirit in East Riding of Yorkshire. We need to make sure those keeping and dispensing petrol do so in a safe manner that is unlikely to cause risk to the public or environment.

What does the certificate allow you to do?

A certificate will allow you to keep an approved quantity of petroleum. It is an offence to keep an amount in excess of this, or to keep licensable quantities of petroleum without storage certificate. 

Where can I get further information?

There are a number of websites, which can provide further information:

Health and Safety Executive (external website)

Association of Petroleum and Explosives Administration (external website)

Energy Institute (external website)

When do I make an application?

You need to make an application if you are storing petroleum:

  • as a retail petrol filling station and do not have a storage certificate or
  • as a commercial site not retailing petrol e.g. a farm, where there are petrol storage tanks and the petrol is dispensed either mechanically or electrically
  • to renew your existing certificate.

In any non-workplace or domestic situation, a petroleum storage certificate is not required. However, you may still need a non-workplace licence. This will depend on the individual circumstances of:

  • how it is being stored
  • in what quantity (more than 275 litres) and
  • the type of container used.

Additionally, you should contact us in circumstances when you need to tell us of changes to your existing storage certificate.

How do I apply for a certificate to store petrol?

You can apply for a petroleum storage certificate by one of the following means:


Apply online for a petroleum storage certificate

Complete and return the application form below:

Petroleum storage certificate application (pdf 724kb)

Please note: to return an application form please contact the Health and Safety Team

In writing or email to the Health & Safety team for a copy of the form:

Please note: the application must be submitted together with the appropriate fee.

In writing to:

Health, Safety and Licensing Manager
Housing, Transport and Public Protection
East Riding of Yorkshire Council
County Hall
Cross Street
HU17 9BA.

Email: health.safety@eastriding.gov.uk

Do I need to provide information or evidence with the application?

For new applications please provide:

  • a drawing (scale 1:100) of the  layout of the premises
  • a drawing (scale 1:100) of the containment system for petrol at the dispensing premises including storage tanks and pipework
  • a drawing (scale 1:100) of the drainage system for petrol at the dispensing premises
  • payment of the appropriate fee.

You are advised to contact the Health & Safety team and speak to us as early as possible for further guidance.

How much will it cost?

The fee payable for a certificate or the renewal of a certificate depends on the quantity of petroleum being stored and the annual period applied for.

The current fees (per year) are:

Licence to keep in a work place (each year of certificate)

  • storage not exceeding 2,500 litres: £45.00
  • storage exceeding 2,500 litres but not exceeding 50,000 litres: £61.00
  • storage exceeding 50,000 litres: £128.00
  • the cost of transferring a licence: £8.00
  • land search response on historic sites: £100 plus VAT.

Licence to keep petrol in a non-workplace (each year of certificate)

  • not exceeding 2500 litres: £45
  • exceeding 2500 but not exceeding 5000 litres: £61
  • exceeding 5000 litres: £128
  • the cost of transferring a licence: £8.00.

Storage certificates may be granted on an annual basis, up to a maximum of 10 years.

Fees are not refundable neither can refunds be given where:

  • trading ceases, or
  • transfers to another take place part way through any certification period.

Please bear this in mind especially when applying for longer periods of certification.

How long will it take you to process my application?

We will consider the application before issuing, renewing or modifying or a certificate.

We may have to conduct site visits and require the production of other documentation to ensure that storage requirements are being met. 

Once we have received your application together with the correct fee and any necessary documentation and we are satisfied that the premises meet storage requirements, we will agree to issue, renew or modify the certificate.

We aim to process your application as soon as possible.

There is no statutory period for determining applications, however, we aim to determine applications within 28 days.

If I do not hear from you for 28 days, can I assume it has been granted (tacit consent)?

No, tacit consent will not apply. This is because it is in the public interest that we must process your application before it can be granted.

If you have not heard from us within a reasonable period, please contact the Health and Safety Team

Will my premises be inspected or assessed?

Yes, for new applications or as regards material changes to existing certificates. The premises will be inspected and assessed as part of the application process.

Are there any conditions attached to the certificate?

There are no conditions that are attached to the certificate. 

If my application is refused, how do I appeal?

If your application is refused, please contact the Health and Safety Team and we will discuss your application with you.

If you are refused a licence by the council you can appeal to the secretary of state under Section 44 of the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974.

How long does the certificate last and what is the renewal procedure?

A certificate may last up to a period of 10 years subject to payment of the appropriate fee. At the end of the certification period the certificate will lapse unless renewed.  

How do I transfer a certificate or notify you of any changes that may affect my certificate?

How can I transfer a certificate to another person once it has been issued?

The petroleum storage certificate now remains with the dispensing premises. A new individual who takes over a certificated site must notify the council as petroleum enforcement authority before keeping petrol on the premises.

The notification must be made in writing and must include:

  • the individual's name and address
  • the address of the dispensing premises
  • the date on which the individual proposes to commence occupation of the premises.

This notification must be given a maximum of 6 months and a minimum of 28 days before the day on which the individual proposes to keep petrol on the dispensing premises.

Who do I tell about a change that could affect my certificate?

If circumstances change regarding:

  • the change of or cessation of use of one or more petrol storage tanks
  • the removal or permanent decommissioning of one or more petrol storage tanks
  • the installation of any tank, pipework or vapour pipework associated with the storage and dispensing of petrol
  • the installation of any petrol pump, any other automotive pump or dispenser in a new location.

We will need to approve these material alterations prior to their implementation. You will need to formally notify us at least 28 days before commencement of any works to affect the change. 

For any such material change, a new certificate will have to be issued. 

Please please contact the Health and Safety Team.

There is no fee associated with this.

Who do I contact?

For further information you can contact the health and safety duty officer by;

Email: health.safety@eastriding.gov.uk

Writing to:

Health, Safety and Licensing Manager
Housing, Transport and Public Protection
East Riding of Yorkshire Council
County Hall
Cross Street
HU17 9BA.

Making a complaint

If you feel we have failed to provide you with good service or are concerned about the progress of your application, please contact us and we will endeavour to resolve any concerns you may have. We also have a formal complaints procedure. Contact details are above.

Stay connected

Sign up for the latest news and updates from East Riding of Yorkshire Council.

We will use GovDelivery to send you emails, it is secure and you can choose to stop receiving emails at any time. Find out more in our Privacy notice.