Caravan sites

The licensing of caravan sites for static or touring caravans for use as a holiday accommodation.

You can apply for a caravan site licence online:

Apply online for a caravan site licence 

Do I need a caravan site licence?

If you have land and you wish to use this for the positioning of static or touring caravans, you will require a caravan site licence.

A caravan is any structure, designed or adapted for human habitation, which is capable of being moved from one place to another (towed or transported), provided its dimensions, when assembled, do not exceed 20m in length, 6.8m wide and 3.05m in height.

No caravan site licence can be issued if either the land does not have planning permission for use as a caravan site, or the applicant has had a site licence revoked within the previous 3 years.

Read further information on planning permission.

The occupier of the land must apply in writing to the council for a caravan site licence. No fee is payable for a holiday use only site.

The following are exempt from the requirement for a caravan site licence:

  • incidental use within the curtilage of a dwelling house
  • single caravan used by a person for not more than 2 nights and 28 days in 12 months
  • holdings of 5 acres or more, if not more than 28 days in 12 months, and a maximum of three caravans at any time
  • sites occupied and supervised by exempted organisation
  • sites approved by exempted organisations for up to five caravans
  • meetings organised by exempted organisations
  • agricultural and forestry workers
  • building and engineering sites
  • travelling showmen
  • sites operated and owned by a local council, county councils or regional councils.

Do I need a licence for a camping site with tents only?

If you have land that you wish to use as a camping site with tents only, you will require a licence under Public Health Act 1936 if the site is used for more than 42 days consecutively or 60 days in total in any consecutive 12 months. 

We may grant or refuse a licence allowing use of a site. If you are granted a licence, conditions will be attached to ensure safety and a basic level of amenities. If you wish to apply for a licence, please email health.safety@eastriding.gov.uk to request an application form. 

If the land is to be used for more than 28 days in total in any calendar year, you must also obtain planning permission.

Sites with planning permission for mixed accommodation provisions, including tents, will be licensed as a single site under the Caravan and Control of Development Act 1960. In this case, in reference to the required standards, tents will be treated as touring units. 

How do I apply for a caravan site licence?

You can apply for a new caravan site licence online:

Application for a caravan site licence (word 51kb)

Please note: you will be required to either attach a site plan to your online application, or email your plan to health.safety@eastriding.gov.uk and should meet the requirements described below.

Site plan requirements

The layout plan of the site should be to a scale of not less than 1:500 and should show the boundaries of the site, the positions of caravan standings and (where appropriate)

  • roads and footpaths
  • recreation spaces
  • fire points
  • parking spaces
  • toilet blocks
  • stores and other buildings
  • water supply, and
  • foul and drainage systems.

The licensing team will not grant any caravan site licence for a longer occupancy period or in conflict with your planning permission.

The outcome of a complete application will be determined within two months by the licensing team. A tacit consent applies to this application and will come into effect two months after submission.

Once your caravan site licence has been issued, you will have to comply at all times with the requirements below:

Caravan site licence conditions - static caravan sites (word 100kb)

Caravan site licence conditions - touring caravan sites (word 50kb) 

Mobile Homes Act 2013

The Mobile Homes Act 2013 brought in provisions for site that have residential planning permission to be eligible to apply for a Mobile Home Licence. The current policy and fees for such an application for the East Riding can be accessed below:

Mobile Homes Licensing Policy 2018 (word 33kb)

How much does a caravan site licence cost?

There is no fee for the grant, change or reissue of a caravan site licence for holiday use only sites.

How do I apply to change a caravan site licence?

Apply online to transfer ownership of a caravan site licence. 

You can apply to vary the following aspects of your caravan site licence to:

  • increase the occupancy period of your licence – this must be sent with relevant planning permission already in place
  • change the site layout of the caravan park – this must be sent with relevant planning permission already in place
  • transfer the ownership of the caravan site licence – this must be accompanied by the current licence-holder-signed consent to transfer.

Please email health.safety@eastriding.gov.uk for further advice. 

To increase the occupancy period or number of caravans you would need to put your request in writing along with any relevant documents to the Health and Safety Team. 

Please note: the licensing team cannot issue any caravan site licence that does not fully reflect your planning permissions.

Once you have submitted all required documents and these have been checked, your site licence will be a reissued showing the change requested.

Can I live on a caravan site?

Every caravan site licence is issued in line with the planning permission for that site, meaning every site may have different occupancy periods for holiday use or if granted permission for residential use will be subject to a Mobile Home Licence. 

To see a public register of all licensed caravan sites within the East Riding and their occupancy periods.

Which sites are licensed?

public register of all licensed caravan sites can be viewed online.

Who regulates and enforces caravan site licensing?

Once a caravan site has been issued with a site licence, they have to adhere to licence conditions for more information on these conditions please see 'How do I apply for a caravan site licence?'.

The conditions relate to the health and safety aspects of the site, therefore, the site is regularly inspected by a health and safety officer for more information about the health and safety team.

Stay connected

Sign up for the latest news and updates from East Riding of Yorkshire Council.

We will use GovDelivery to send you emails, it is secure and you can choose to stop receiving emails at any time. Find out more in our Privacy notice.