Notification of cooling towers

The register details for those specific wet cooling towers and evaporative condensers notified to the council.

Where can I find the register of all the premises that have cooling towers on their sites?

Under the Notification of Cooling Towers and Evaporative Condensers Regulations 1992 all businesses or premises that have wet cooling towers and/or evaporative condensers within the council’s area have a requirement to notify us using the form below:

The Notification Of Cooling Towers And Evaporative Condensers Regulations 1992 (pdf 388kb)

The notification form should be emailed to the Health, Safety and Licensing service by email at

Can I access the register?

A register is available below of all cooling towers and evaporative condensers notified to the council, containing the following details:

  • Name of the organisation
  • Address of the premises
  • Year of notification.

Cooling Tower Public Register (pdf 416kb)

Do I need to notify of any changes or removal of the equipment?

You should notify the Health, Safety and Licensing service by email at of any changes to the cooling towers and evaporative condensers or if they become redundant and is decommissioned or dismantled.

Does the council conduct inspections of the equipment?

The council will not normally conduct an inspection of the equipment. Most premises on the register fall to the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) for health and safety enforcement. The HSE may inspect your premises and equipment if you are a HSE enforced premises.

For more information on the HSE and when they may visit and inspect, please visit their website at:

HSE (external website)

We may inspect the equipment if you are Local Authority enforced premises and there is a complaint or a health and safety concern.

For more information on safe use of equipment please visit the HSE website via the link below:

HSE - Legionella and legionnaires' disease guidance (external website)

Who do I contact for more information?

If you should wish for any further advice or guidance you can contact the Health, Safety and Licensing service by email at

Subscribe to East Riding of Yorkshire Council

Stay updated on the latest East Riding news

We use GovDelivery to send you emails, which is secure and you can choose to stop receiving emails at any time.

Find out more in our Privacy notice.

Subscribe to East Riding News