Support and resources

There are various other council services that could be of assistance when starting, growing or locating your business, as well as assistance from other local support organisations.

What other help and support can the council offer me?

Business and continuity 

Help to deal with any unplanned incidents which may affect your ability to operate such as advice on how to create a  business continuity plan.

YORSwitch cheaper business energy scheme 

Run by East Riding of Yorkshire Council, YORSwitch cheaper energy scheme takes the hassle out of switching suppliers.  The council’s appointed energy broker searches the whole market for the best, bespoke energy deals available and presents them to the company, clearly highlighting the key terms, with no obligation.

Visit Hull and East Yorkshire (VHEY)

The VHEY tourism partnership is open to any business with an interest or involvement in the visitor economy, including accommodation providers, suppliers to the tourism industry, visitor attractions, cafes, restaurants and retail outlets, leisure activities and entertainment businesses.

Visit Hull and East Yorkshire - business - why join (external website)


Information on a variety of licences, permits and registrations to individuals and businesses.

Trading standards

The trading standards service in the East Riding of Yorkshire Council promotes and protects the well-being of the economy and safeguards the health, safety and environment of its residents.

Food business  

The food services team deals with a wide range of food safety and standards issues. Activities include conducting food hygiene inspections, dealing with complaints, investigating infectious diseases, food sampling, animal feeding stuffs and food labelling or composition issues.

Health and safety

All employers are responsible for the health, safety and welfare of the people they employ and any visitors to their premises. The council can offer advice on health and safety at work for businesses and you can get additional information from the Health and Safety Executive website:

Health and Safety Executive (external website)

Health and wellbeing 

Business rates

Business rates is the commonly-used term for non-domestic rates. Non-domestic rates are charged on most non-domestic premises, including commercial properties such as shops, offices, pubs, warehouses and factories. The council calculates and collects non-domestic rates on behalf of central government.

Business waste

Business waste is any item that a business no longer wants and needs to get rid of such as paper, kitchen waste, packaging, general dry non-hazardous waste. This can be from shops, pubs, offices, schools, manufacturing, clinics and business premises.

Support for rural businesses  

The council's rural policy and partnerships team works with community members and other organisations on a range of rural issues and projects. The team also co-ordinates the East Riding of Yorkshire Rural Partnership and the East Riding of Yorkshire and Kingston Upon Hull Joint Local Access Forum.


You can find everything you need to know about applying for planning permission, and how to view details of other people's applications.

Are there any local organisations that can help me?

The council works with a number of other local organisations that can offer you support. These are listed below:

Humber Local Enterprise Partnership (LEP) 

Humber Local Enterprise Partnership (LEP) is a business led partnership that works closely with government to promote and develop the natural economic area surrounding the Humber estuary and provide strategic leadership for economic growth:

Humber Local Enterprise Partnership (external website)  

Humber Business Growth Hub (external website)

York, North Yorkshire and East Riding Local Enterprise Partnership

The York, North Yorkshire and East Riding Local Enterprise Partnership works with public and private sector partners, to deliver economic improvement and change across York, North Yorkshire and East Riding. The Let's Grow North and East Yorkshire is a Regional Growth Fund (RGF) programme administered by the BE Group.

Be Group - Let's Grow North and East Yorkshire (external website)

Hull and Humber Chamber of Commerce 

Hull and Humber Chamber of Commerce provides its members with a range of business services including training, networking events and promotion:

Hull and Humber Chamber of Commerce (external website)

Youth Enterprise 

Youth Enterprise offers a range of support to young people (up to 25 years) with the ambition to start a business:

Youth Enterprise Bank (external website)


The Bondholder scheme is a 180-strong powerful network of businesses that work together to raise the profile of Hull and East Yorkshire:

Bondholders (external website)  

Department for International Trade (DIT)

The Department for International Trade helps businesses to export and grow into global markets, as well as helping overseas companies locate and grow in the UK:

GOV.UK - Department for International Trade (external website)

Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA)

Support for agricultural or rural businesses: 

GOV.UK - Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (external website)

Technology Strategy Board

Support for innovative business ideas:

GOV.UK - Innovate UK (external website)

Support for coastal businesses - Fisheries Local Action Group (FLAG)

The purpose of the FLAG is to provide a catalyst and focus for actions to help both the local fishing industry and the communities where they are based. The Holderness coast FLAG’s strategic objective is to increase the contribution that the local fishing industry can make to the sustainable, social and economic regeneration of the East Riding’s coastal communities, which covers the East Riding of Yorkshire coast:

Humber LEP - Fisheries Local Action Group (FLAG)(external website)

Support for coastal businesses – Coastal Communities Fund (CCF)

The Coastal Communities Fund (CCF) aims to encourage the economic development of UK coastal communities by awarding funding to create sustainable economic growth and jobs: 

Big Lottery Fund - Coastal Communities Fund (external website)

Stay connected

Sign up for the latest news and updates from East Riding of Yorkshire Council.

We will use GovDelivery to send you emails, it is secure and you can choose to stop receiving emails at any time. Find out more in our Privacy notice.