Calibration/weights and measures

Where can I find information about weighing equipment in use for trade?

You can find guidance for trade use of weighing equipment on the business companion website:

Business companion - Weights and measures (external website)

What do I need to known about average quantity?

Further information about the controls required when packages are made up or imported by weight or volume can be found on the business companion website:

Business companion - Packaged goods (external website)

In addition, further information about small bakers and average weight can be found on its own page on the business companion website:

Business companion - Small bakers and average weight (external website)

What do I need to know about unit pricing?

The following page on the business companion website explains about the law on the indication of the selling price in shops and it goes on to cover when you must display the price per unit of weight or measure:

Business companion - Price marking of goods for retail sale (external website)

Where can I get my weighing or measuring equipment calibrated?

The Humber Authorities Calibration Services was set up as a partnership between East Riding of Yorkshire Council, Hull City Council, North East Lincolnshire Council and North Lincolnshire Council, and can calibrate a range of weighing and measuring equipment, as well as offering hire of weights.

Humber Authorities Calibration Services (external website)

Where can I find a public weighbridge in the East Riding of Yorkshire?

A list of public weighbridges in the East Riding of Yorkshire Council area can be found in the following document.

List of Public Weighbridges in East Yorkshire (pdf 224kb)

Where else can I get advice on weights and measures for businesses?

The following organisations offer advice or information to businesses:

The National Measurement Office (NMO) is an executive agency of the Department for Business, Innovation, and Skills and is based in Teddington. Its role is to ensure the UK’s system of weights and measures is fair, accurate and legal so that consumers and businesses have confidence.

National Measurement Office (external website)

GOV.UK website is a government online resource for all. It has a section aimed at businesses and the self-employed. It contains essential information about starting up and running a business in the UK, including help if you're self-employed or a sole trader.

GOV.UK – Businesses and self-employed (external website)

Subscribe to East Riding of Yorkshire Council

Stay updated on the latest East Riding news

We use GovDelivery to send you emails, which is secure and you can choose to stop receiving emails at any time.

Find out more in our Privacy notice.

Subscribe to East Riding News