Consumer safety

COVID-19 Service Update

Trading Standards

If you have a Trading Standards complaint you should call the Citizens Advice consumer service on 0808 223 113 who will provide you with basic advice. Trading Standards will continue to monitor complaints but will only respond to emergencies.

A weights and measures verification service will be provided by Trading Standards but only to sectors in the vital supply chain and medical/fuel industries.


What responsibility do I have for selling unsafe goods?

Further practical information about unsafe goods, liability for damage or injury can be found on the business companion website:

Business companion - Unsafe goods - liability (external website)

What do I need to know if I manufacture or import goods to re-sell?

Manufacturers and importers of consumer goods must take steps to ensure that the goods in question are safe and that they comply with any particular regulations that set down safety standards.

For further detailed guidance:

The Department for Business, Innovation, and Skills (BIS) website contains information on many aspects of product safety.

Department for Business, Innovation and Skills (external website)

Online advice for business and self-employed is available from the GOV.UK website.

GOV.UK Business and Self-employed (external website)

Important information

Manufacturers and importers may need to refer to British Standards or European Standards. The European Commission website has a useful page to cover European Standards.

European Commission (external website)

Are there any simple guides to product safety?

The business companion website offers links to a range of simple guides to product safety (scroll down toward the bottom of the page for specific links):

Business companion - Product safety (external website)

Simple guides to product safety can be found about:

  • Cosmetics
  • General product safety - distributors
  • General product safety - producers
  • Goods in rented accommodations
  • Safety of products - due diligence
  • Unsafe goods - liability
  • New and second-hand prams and pushchairs
  • New nightwear
  • New upholstered furniture
  • Electrical goods
  • Fireworks
  • Electrical equipment
  • Food imitations
  • Jewelry safety- metal content
  • Mini motos, off-road vehicles, etc
  • Ornamental & novelty giftware
  • Toys
  • Part-worn tyres
  • Second-hand electrical goods
  • Second-hand gas cooking appliances
  • Second hand upholstered furniture

Important information

The above list does not cover all products that you may need to ensure are safe.

Where else can I go for advice on consumer safety?

The following organisations offer advice or information to businesses:

The Department for Business, Innovation and Skills (BIS) is a central government department. One of its roles is to help to draft and regulate many of the UK laws, regulations, and guidelines on advertising, package travel and timeshare, pricing and product description that help protect consumers and businesses from unscrupulous practices.

Department of Business, Innovation and Skills (external website)

Online advice for business and self-employed is available from the GOV.UK website

GOV.UK Business and Self-employed (external website)

The Chartered Trading Standards Institute (CTSI) has set the Business Companion website to provide impartial free information to business:

Business Companion (external website)

Subscribe to East Riding of Yorkshire Council

Stay updated on the latest East Riding news

We use GovDelivery to send you emails, which is secure and you can choose to stop receiving emails at any time.

Find out more in our Privacy notice.

Subscribe to East Riding News