Disability services and adult care

Disabled facilities grant, Blue Badge application, government benefits, and adult social care information.

Disabled facilities grant

If you or someone you live with has a disability, you may be eligible for a grant to pay for adaptations to your home:

Home adaptations - more information on the Your life your way website

A disabled facilities grant is a means-tested council grant of up to £30,000 to assist with the costs incurred in adapting your home to allow access to normal household facilities. Before you can apply for a disabled facilities grant, you must first be assessed by an occupational therapist (OT) who will visit you to determine what you need to help you to live at home.

For more information and to organise an assessment email:

Email: healthy.homes@eastriding.gov.uk
Tel: (01482) 393939

Travel passes

We offer free local travel on buses and trains for East Riding residents with specific disabilities. Find out how to apply if you are entitled to a pass:

Disabled person's local travel pass - more information

Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

If you have a long-term mental health condition, or a physical condition that impacts on your everyday life, you might be eligible for PIP. You can claim if you're working, have savings, or you are in receipt of other benefits:

Personal Independence Payment (PIP) - more information and how to apply on GOV.UK

Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)

You can apply for Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) if you have a disability or health condition that affects how much you can work.

ESA gives you:

  • money to help with living costs if you're unable to work
  • support to get back into work if you're able to

You can apply if you're employed, self-employed or unemployed.

Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) - more information and how to apply on GOV.UK

Attendance Allowance

Attendance Allowance helps with extra costs if you have a disability severe enough that you need someone to help look after you:

Attendance Allowance - more information on GOV.UK

Disability Living Allowance (DLA)

Disability Living Allowance is currently being replaced by Personal Independence Payment but you can still claim for a child who has a disability if they:

  • are under the age of 16
  • have difficulties walking or need much more looking after than a child of the same age who does not have a disability

Disability Living Allowance for children - more information and how to claim on GOV.UK

Blue Badges

If you have severe mobility issues you may be eligible for a Blue Badge. This is a parking permit that gives you access to goods and services by allowing you to park closer to your destination:

Blue Badges - more information and how to apply

Adult care

The Your Life, Your Way website provides information to help you find the right care and support, to help you (or someone you care for) live an active and independent life, including information on:

Subscribe to East Riding of Yorkshire Council

Stay updated on the latest East Riding news

We use GovDelivery to send you emails, which is secure and you can choose to stop receiving emails at any time.

Find out more in our Privacy notice.

Subscribe to East Riding News