Support for families with children

Free school meals, school clothing grant, help with childcare costs, and maternity grants for families with children.

Free school meals

Many families on lower incomes, with children at school, will be entitled to free school meals for their children:

Free school meals - information and how to apply

Holiday Activities and Food (HAF)

The Holiday Activities and Food (HAF) programme is for children and young people who receive benefit related free school meals. It provides a range of fun activities and a free hot or cold meal, over the Easter, summer and Christmas school holidays.

Holiday Activities and Food - more information on holiday activities

Pupil Premium Grant

The Pupil Premium Grant is paid to schools so that they can provide extra services to pupils from low income families. Schools claim the grant for every pupil receiving free school meals, but the children of low income families who choose not to claim free school meals may still be eligible:

Pupil Premium Grant enquiry form

Clothing grant

You may be eligible for a school clothing grant for your child if you are in receipt of:

  • Universal Credit
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Pension Credit Guarantee Credit
  • Jobseeker's Allowance (income based)
  • Employment and Support Allowance (income based)
  • support under part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999.

To be eligible:

  • your child must be moving from primary to secondary school
  • both schools must be in the East Riding boundary
  • you must also be resident within the East Riding boundary.

Apply for a clothing grant - more information

Help with childcare

Help with childcare is available for families with children from toddlers to teens. We can help you find a suitable childcare provider, and eligible families can get funding to cover the cost of up to 30 hours of childcare. There are a few options available, depending on your working status and how old your child is. If your child is:

You can find out more about available childcare funding options for children up to the age of 16 on the government's Childcare Choices website:

Childcare Choices - more information and how to apply

Tax-Free Childcare

You can get up to £500 every 3 months (up to £2,000 a year) for each of your children to help with the costs of childcare. This goes up to £1,000 every 3 months if a child is disabled (up to £4,000 a year). You can get Tax-Free Childcare at the same time as 30 hours free childcare if you're eligible for both.

Tax-Free Childcare - more information and how to apply on GOV.UK

Tax Credits - Child Tax Credit and Working Tax Credit

You can no longer apply for Child Tax Credit and/or Working Tax Credit. Instead you will need to claim Universal Credit.

Tax Credits - find out more on GOV.UK

Sure Start Maternity Grant

You may be eligible for a one-off payment, to help towards the costs of having your first child, if you are in receipt of any of these benefits:

  • Income Support
  • income-based Jobseeker's Allowance
  • income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Pension Credit
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Working Tax Credit that includes a disability or severe disability element
  • Universal Credit

You may also qualify if you're getting a Support for Mortgage Interest loan:

Sure Start Maternity Grant - more information on GOV.UK

Healthy Start NHS vouchers

You may be eligible for Healthy Start vouchers from the NHS, to help buy fruit, vegetables and milk, if you are:

  • on low income
  • more than 10 weeks pregnant or have a child under 4.

Tel: 0345 607 6823

Healthy Start NHS vouchers - how to apply

Subscribe to East Riding of Yorkshire Council

Stay updated on the latest East Riding news

We use GovDelivery to send you emails, which is secure and you can choose to stop receiving emails at any time.

Find out more in our Privacy notice.

Subscribe to East Riding News