Urgent help when in need

If you need financial advice to help with longer-term stability, or emergency assistance with your financial or mental health, the services listed below may be able to help you.

YOUR money team

Our dedicated YOUR money team can help with even the most complex situations. They will ensure you are claiming all the benefits, grants, and discounts that you are entitled to. They can also give debt advice and help with budgeting.

Contact us for a free and confidential appointment:

Email: yourmoney@eastriding.gov.uk

The YOUR money team - more information

Emergency assistance scheme

The council's emergency assistance scheme can help residents with the cost of food, gas and electricity, and other essential items:

Emergency assistance scheme - information and how to apply

Help for homeless people

There are many reasons why people might be at risk of becoming homeless. The type and amount of help that we can provide depends upon your circumstances, but we will provide you with advice and assistance wherever possible. If someone is homeless, or at risk of becoming homeless, they should visit a customer service centre or call 01482 396301 during office hours (or call 01482 393939 out of hours) to request assistance:

Help for homeless people - more information

Severe weather emergency protocol (SWEP)

In extreme cold weather (weather that is expected to reach or fall below 0 deg C) the severe weather emergency protocol (SWEP) will be initiated. Anyone concerned about a person sleeping rough in these circumstances should call the Emmaus Outreach Team on 0800 066 2169 or email outreach@emmaushull.org.uk

The Emmaus Hull & East Riding homeless outreach service offers direct support to people who are street homeless in the East Riding:

Emmaus Hull and East Riding homeless outreach service - more information

Citizens Advice

Citizens Advice provides comprehensive unbiased help and advice about a wide range of life situations and problems. They have specialist debt advisors who can provide free, specialist debt advice:

Citizens Advice - help with debt

Hull and East Riding Citizens Advice


Mind provide help and support to people with mental health problems, and those caring for them. They offer a local and national support service.

Mind - more information on support services

Hull and East Yorkshire Mind - how we can help


If you need support, and you're struggling to cope, you can call 116 123 to speak to a trained Samaritan. Their service is available 24 hours a day throughout the year.

Samaritans - ways to get in touch

Subscribe to East Riding of Yorkshire Council

Stay updated on the latest East Riding news

We use GovDelivery to send you emails, which is secure and you can choose to stop receiving emails at any time.

Find out more in our Privacy notice.

Subscribe to East Riding News