Attending an interview for a job with the council

Advice and information about attending an interview for a position with the council.

Do my references have to be requested before my interview?

If you would prefer us not to contact your referees at this point, please make it clear in the space provided on the application form.

Do my references have to be from a previous employer or can I provide character references?

We require two employment references, from your most recent employers. 

Where this is not possible, we will liaise with the vacancy manager and yourself to get the most appropriate references. 

It will not be acceptable to nominate members of your family as referees, unless you have been directly employed by the relative and the reference is being given by them in his/her capacity as an employer.

If I cannot attend an interview or wish to rearrange the time or date, who should I contact?

You should contact the council at:

Email: recruitment.services@eastriding.gov.uk

If you need to rearrange the time or date, we will put you directly in contact with the manager to discuss if this is possible. 

Please note: it is not always possible to rearrange an interview due to managers' availability.

What sort of questions will I be asked at interview?

The interview panel will ask questions which allow you to expand on or clarify information in your application form and to demonstrate the extent to which you meet the requirements of the post as set out in the employee specification.

The purpose of the interview is to assess your suitability for the post and give both the panel and yourself an opportunity to gain further information before making an appointment. 

For posts where you will be working with children or vulnerable adults, the interview may also clarify information received in references and explore issues relating to safeguarding such as:

  • motivation to work with children or vulnerable adults
  • ability to form and maintain appropriate relationships and personal boundaries
  • emotional strength when working with challenging behaviour
  • attitudes to use of authority and maintaining discipline.

What documents do I need to bring with me to interview?

You need to bring with you original documents (minimum of 3 separate documents) as proof of:

  • identity and right to work in the UK - please bring 2 documents showing name and date of birth and wherever possible one that includes a photograph eg passport. You can check the documents that are accepted as evidence of right to work in the UK by visiting the Border Agency website:

    UK Border Agency (external website) 

  • change of name (if applicable) eg deed poll or marriage certificate
  • current address eg a recent bank statement or utility bill
  • educational or professional qualifications required or relevant to the post (only original certificates or copies certified by the awarding body or written confirmation of the qualification from the awarding body will be accepted. Any foreign language documents must be accompanied by an authorised translation)
  • for posts where you will be driving a council vehicle, you must bring your driving licence (photo card is only accepted with paper counterpart).

A photocopy of the above documents will be made on the day and the originals returned to you immediately.

Does the council check my right to work in the UK?

Yes. In order to comply with the Immigration, Asylum and Nationality Act 2006, the council must confirm before an offer of employment is made that the preferred candidate has the legal right to work in the UK. Delays in appointment will be avoided if documents as specified above are produced at interview.

Applicants from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) who would require sponsorship to work in the UK under Tier 2 (skilled worker) can self-assess the likelihood of obtaining a Certificate of Sponsorship for this post by visiting the UK Border Agency website at:

UK Visas & Immigration - guidance on right to work in the UK (external website)

Please note: Non-EEA candidates need to be aware that employers must complete a resident labour market test before issuing a Certificate of Sponsorship and this may mean that a non-EEA candidate will not be appointed if the organisation has applications from suitably qualified, experienced and available settled EEA workers. 

To meet the requirements of the resident labour market test, a further advertisement of this vacancy may be required before appointment of a non-EEA applicant can proceed.

Are there any restrictions for driving posts if I have points on my licence?

For posts which involve driving council vehicles or your own car on council business, a driving licence check via an external agency, DriverCheck will be required if you are the preferred candidate to ensure that you are eligible to drive under the council’s insurance policy. 

DriverCheck (external website)

The council’s insurers will not provide automatic cover for drivers where they have been convicted during the past 5 years or there are prosecutions pending for:

  • dangerous/reckless driving (code DD)
  • driving while under the influence of drink/drugs (code DR)
  • unlawful taking/stealing (code UT)
  • failing to stop/failing to report an accident (code AC).

What if the post I am applying for requires professional registration, such as with the Health Care Professions Council?

Where it is a legal requirement that only those registered can practice for example social workers,

educational psychologists, occupational therapists etc, you will be asked to produce your registration certificate at interview. 

How will I know if I have been successful after interview?

The council should contact you by telephone to inform you if you have been successful or not. If you are successful, this will be followed up by an email confirming any pre-employment checks we still need to complete and, if unsuccessful, by an email confirming this.

Will I have to have a medical?

You are asked in the workforce monitoring section of your application form if you need any aids or adaptations to the workplace or work arrangements due to a medical condition or physical limitation. 

If you have answered that you need no adjustments, there will be no need for any further medical details unless the post you are applying for includes exposure to noise or vibrating equipment etc where baseline screening is necessary. 

If you do need any adjustments to workplace or duties, you will be asked to complete a health and medical questionnaire so the council's occupational health team can advise on suitable adjustments and provide any additional support. If you are undertaking a driving positions you require a medical.

Can I claim my travel expenses for attending an interview?

No. The council does not reimburse interview expenses.

Stay connected

Sign up for the latest news and updates from East Riding of Yorkshire Council.

We will use GovDelivery to send you emails, it is secure and you can choose to stop receiving emails at any time. Find out more in our Privacy notice.