Privacy notice for assessments and payments

What do we use the information for?

We use personal information to provide an assessment and payments service on behalf of adult and children services. We require personal and financial information on you and your household to verify and determine ability to contribute to any residential and non-residential services received from the council.

We use personal information:

  • to verify evidence regarding income and capital to calculate your ability to contribute towards the cost of your care
  • to verify evidence regarding income and capital to calculate your eligibility for fostering/adoption payments
  • to collect any contributions
  • to consider any reconsiderations and appeals where you do not agree with your award of housing benefit/council tax support
  • to provide information for statutory government returns. 

What information do we hold and use?

We collect and process the following information:

  • you and your partner’s personal details, which include full name, date of birth, National Insurance numbers
  • your current and previous address
  • the date you wish to claim from and if you wish to claim housing benefit and/or council tax support
  • any contact/appointee details – name and contact address
  • details of all income you and your household receive, this usually information you have provided which includes all state benefits and other income
  • details of all bank accounts you hold 
  • details of any second properties and rent received from the properties if applicable
  • details of any expenses
  • details of the bank accounts you hold
  • details of the care you receive and who provides it. 

On what grounds do we use the information?

The primary legislation covering housing benefit is contained in the:

  • Care Act 2014
  • Charging for Residential Accommodation Guide (CRAG)
  • fairer charging policy for home care and other non-residential social services. 

How do we collect this information?

Information is collected from the individual or from a third party as listed below:

  • financial assessment forms
  • financial assessment forms completed in assistance from a member of staff within East Riding of Yorkshire
  • evidence and data obtain by way of a visiting officer
  • by post/email/website and any other method of correspondence
  • direct from the department for work pensions
  • over the telephone through our contact centre staff
  • through the national Tell Us Once Scheme
  • through an internal department. 

Who do we share your information with?

We never make your personal details available to companies outside East Riding of Yorkshire Council for marketing purposes, although our representatives may hold your data so that your details and/or account can be maintained.

Information held by the assessments and payments service is used by other departments of the East Riding of Yorkshire Council to enable them to undertake their statutory duties where the law allows it. We will not disclose with anyone else without appropriate permission, unless we have a legal reason to do so. For example disclosure may be necessary to prevent or detect crime.

We will obtain other information about you from third parties and give information to them to:

  • make sure the information is accurate 
  • prevent, detect and prosecute fraud 
  • protect public funds 
  • recover debts owed to the council.

We will match the information you provide with other information we hold about you whether provided to us by you, or anyone else. We may also obtain other information about you from third parties and give information to them to: make sure the information is accurate, prevent, detect and prosecute fraud or protect public funds.

These third parties include:

  • government departments for verification of benefits, detection and prevention of fraud, to submit appeals against assessments of ability to contribute to the cost of services received
  • any organisation who the council contracts with to administer public funds 
  • external stakeholders such as Citizens Advice Bureau where a referral is to be made on your behalf and consent has been received.  

How long do we store it and is it secure?

The council has retention schedules in place to ensure that information is only held for as long as it is needed. For information on how long your information will be held visit the retention explained page. 

For information on how long your information will be held please visit the general privacy information page.

What rights do you have?

The rights that you have depend upon the grounds upon which we collected your information. All rights that you could have are outlined on the data protection page.

In most cases, people who have been involved with  the assessment of care charges will have the following rights:

  • The right to access – You are entitled to see the information we hold about you and can request a copy by emailing data.protection@eastriding.gcsx.gov.uk.
  • The right to rectification – If you believe any information we hold about you to be incorrect, please email assessments.payments@eastriding.gov.uk and we will amend the information accordingly.
  • The right to restrict processing – Should you wish to limit how we use your data please email assessments.payments@eastriding.gov.uk with the reason for your request.  
  • The right to object – If you wish to object about the way we use your personal information in your assessment for contributions for services provided by Adult and Childrens Services, please email assessments.payments@eastriding.gov.uk and we will consider your objection.

Where can I find out more?

If you want to know more about how the council uses information, your rights or have a concern about the way we are collecting or using your personal data, we request that you raise your concern with us in the first instance.

Contact details are available on the general privacy information page. 

Alternatively, you can contact the Information Commissioner’s Office.

Stay connected

Sign up for the latest news and updates from East Riding of Yorkshire Council.

We will use GovDelivery to send you emails, it is secure and you can choose to stop receiving emails at any time. Find out more in our Privacy notice.