Privacy notice for building control service

What do we use the information for?

If you are undertaking construction work the building regulations require that the work is checked and inspected by the council or an approved inspector. The aim of the building control legislation is to ensure that development is constructed safely to protect future occupants and the public.

What information do we hold and use?

The application form requires basic information regarding applicant and ownership of land as part of process to determine the building control application.  Inspections during course of construction are recorded, with any action needed. A completion certificate is issued on final approval.

On what grounds do we use the information?

The building regulations set out the national information requirements that need to be met in submitting an application, and it is a legal obligation that you supply this information. In submitting your application to the council you are also entering into a contract for the plan checking and inspection service that the council provides.

How do we collect this information?

An applicant is required to complete the appropriate application form, and provide supporting information in accordance with national requirements.

Building control officers will inspect a site during construction.

Site inspections will also be undertaken if any breach of building regulations are reported.

Who do we share your information with?

The application for building regulations is NOT published, but the Information Commissioner's Office has determined that applications to the council can be inspected on request.

The completion certificate is a legal document and recorded as such and available through a land search. Completion is notified to other council departments including council tax.

How long do we store it and is it secure?

The council has retention schedules in place to ensure that information is only held for as long as it is needed. For information on how long your information will be held visit the retention explained page. 

Details of how we keep your information secure are available on the general privacy information page.

What rights do you have?

The rights that you have depend upon the grounds upon which your information is collected. All of the rights you could have are outlined on the  data protection rights page. 

In most cases, people who have been involved with Building Control will have the right to access, you can request a copy by emailing data.protection@eastriding.gcsx.gov.uk, however the right to erasure does not apply as the information is required as a legal obligation.

Where can I find out more?

If you want to know more about how the council uses information, your rights or have a concern about the way we are collecting or using your personal data, we request that you raise your concern with us in the first instance.

Contact details are available on the general privacy information page. 

Alternatively, you can contact the Information Commissioner’s Office.

Stay connected

Sign up for the latest news and updates from East Riding of Yorkshire Council.

We will use GovDelivery to send you emails, it is secure and you can choose to stop receiving emails at any time. Find out more in our Privacy notice.