Children and young people’s specialist services

Children and young people’s specialist services cover a range of different services to support children, young people and their families and carers to improve their lives at home, in education and in learning.

What do we use the information for?

We use this information for the following reasons:

  • To deliver specialist services to provide services to children, young people and their families, in order to improve outcomes, from 0-25 years.
  • Specialist services are provided through a range of approaches, particularly to groups of children and young people who are vulnerable in some way, for example they may have Special Educational Needs and/or Disability (SEND), poor attendance at school or illness.  
  • Specialist services have a number of teams, each dealing with different support activities. This includes supporting children through Education Welfare and Home Tuition, Vulnerable Children’s Education Team (VCET), Commissioning, Education Inclusion Service, Disability services, Special Educational Needs (SEN), The Sensory and Physical Teaching Service.  
  • Specialist services also works in partnership with the pupil referral unit and a number of education providers, and commissions support and services from  within and outside the East Riding. 

What information do we hold and use?

We collect and use the following information:

  • Personal information (including name, date of birth and contact details)
  • Identifiable information (including NHS number, National Insurance Number, Unique Pupil Number) 
  • Characteristics (including gender, language and ethnicity)
  • Details of any special educational needs for children
  • Where appropriate, relevant medical information for children or parent carers
  • School attendance/exclusion information for children and young people
  • Any additional personal information that is necessary for us to assess and provide you with the service you require
  • Previous involvement with specialist services. 

On what grounds do we use the information?

In order to provide a service to you we need to collect and use information about you which is covered legally by the following:

  • Education Act 1996
  • Children and Families Act 2014

The lawful basis on which we process information includes that processing shall be lawful only if:

  • you have given consent to the processing of your personal data for one or more specific purposes. 

How do we collect this information?

We collect this information via a number of methods including:

  • a service request form (this could be a paper copy of an online form)
  • during meetings with you or visits to your home and school or setting
  • collecting information via post, emails and telephone conversations
  • via professional/service reports. 

* The word ‘setting’ is used to include: early years settings, schools, academies, colleges and post-16 providers.

Who do we share your information with?

In addition to sharing within the council information about children, young people and their families, it may sometimes also be necessary to share information with external organisations.

We will not give information about you to anyone outside of East Riding of Yorkshire Council without your consent unless required to do so by law in delivering our statutory functions, or such actions are necessary for safeguarding children or to deliver the services which you have requested.

Our statutory functions include responsibility for public health and may require the sharing of relevant information with bodies such as NHS and voluntary organisations to support the health, wellbeing and care needs of children and young people.

We are also required to pass on some information to the Department for Education (DfE) and any partner agencies with whom the DfE may work. The DfE uses this to help with policy formation, performance management and funding, examination data and analysis and to assist with the development of good practice.

Schools and settings may also be required to pass information to the council, other schools and the DfE in order to deliver services and to comply with statutory requirements.

Below is a list of parties with whom we regularly share information:

  • Schools and settings – To support the inclusion of those children and young people with SEND, children looked after and those missing education
  • Academies - To support the inclusion of those children and young people with SEND, children looked after and those missing education
  • Clinical Commissioning Groups (CCGs) –  To support and provide health services to children and young people
  • Department of Education (DfE) – To inform local funding allocations
  • Service Providers – To commission provision for children and young people. 

* The word ‘setting’ is used to include: early years settings, schools, academies, colleges and post-16 providers.

How long do we store it and is it secure?

The council has retention schedules in place to ensure that information is only held for as long as it is needed. For information on how long your information will be held visit the retention explained page. 

The council’s IT security and confidentiality policies ensure that your information is protected, and available only to staff directly involved in your care. Details of how we keep your information secure are available on the general privacy information page.

What rights do you have?

The rights that you have depend upon the grounds upon which we collected your information. All of the rights you could have are outlined on the data protection rights page. For those children and young people involved with specialist services the following rights apply:

  • The right of access - You are entitled to see the information we hold about you and can request a copy by emailing data.protection@eastriding.gcsx.gov.uk 
  • The right to rectification - If you believe any information we hold about you to be incorrect, please email eis@eastriding.gcsx.gov.uk and we will amend the information accordingly. 
  • The right to erasure/right to be forgotten - By providing a service to you under a statutory duty means that you can not request that your information is erased/forgotten. 
  • The right to restrict processing - Should you wish us to limit how we use your data please email eis@eastriding.gcsx.gov.uk with the reason for your request. 
  • The right to object - In addition to the right to limit the use of your data, you also have a right to object to the use of your data for certain actions.  Please send your request to eis@eastriding.gcsx.gov.uk

Where can I find out more?

If you want to know more about how the council uses information, your rights or have a concern about the way we are collecting or using your personal data, we request that you raise your concern with us in the first instance.

Contact details are available on the general privacy information page. 

Alternatively, you can contact the Information Commissioner’s Office.