Privacy notice for definitive map

What do we use the information for?

We use this information to carry out our statutory duty with regard to the recording and changing of the public rights of way network and assisting the countryside access team with their statutory duties to manage, maintain and protect the rights of way network ensuring that it is in a fit condition for those who wish to use it within the East Riding. The definitive map team may use this information to prepare the following documents and their associated consultations: 

  • definitive map and statement modification orders 
  • public path orders. 

We use the information to make changes to the network and assist with the management and maintenance of the public rights of way network as well as responding to enquiries about the network. 

What information do we hold and use?

We collect and process the following information:

  • personal information (such as name, year of birth, occupation, postal address, email address, telephone numbers)
  • comments from individuals and organisations in relation to definitive map matters
  • some sensitive information (e.g. health conditions) where this has been voluntarily disclosed as part of a response to an informal pre-order consultation document. We do not actively collect this information; it is sometimes provided by individuals for context to support their view in a particular consultation. 

On what grounds do we use the information?

Section 53B of the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 requires that authorities shall keep a register of applications made under Section 53(5) of the 1981 Act.  The register is to be made available in hard copy and on the council’s website for public viewing.

Applications for public path orders can be made under the Highways Act 1980 and the Town and Country Planning Act 1990. We hold information within these applications for informal and formal consultations for the making of the orders.

Section 31A of the Highways Act 1980 and S15B of the Commons Act 2006 requires authorities to keep a register of applications made under these acts.  The registers are to be made available in hard copy and on the Council’s website for public viewing.

All the information collected is processed in the public interest.

How do we collect this information?

The personal data we collect is taken from application forms and following on from these, responses to consultation documents or is provided to us through the explicit consent of individuals providing contact details for the definitive map team. We also collect information when people make enquiries via letter, email or on the telephone to respond to enquiries about the network or other definitive map issues.

Some personal data is also provided to us where an individual or organisation contacts us to ask to be kept informed of progress on particular definitive map issues. Again, this is usually in the form of a letter, email or telephone call.

Who we share your information with?

Legislation requires that the council hold a public register of applications made under Schedule 14 of the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981. These can be viewed via hard copy or on the council’s website. All applications have signatures redacted. Applicants have an option to have personal details redacted.  

Applications made under S31(6) of the Highways Act 1980 and Section 15A of the Commons Act 2006 are also required to be placed on a publicly available register via hard copy and on the council’s website. These are a standardised form set by Government and only signatures are redacted.

Informal consultation responses are not made public on the council’s website.

Personal data will only be shared with specified parties as set out below: 

Name Reasons for sharing data
Secretary of state for environment, food and rural affairs/planning inspectorate If a definitive map modification order is objected to then Schedule 15(7)(1)to the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 requires that these orders are determined by the secretary of state for environment, food and rural affairs of which the planning inspectorate act on their behalf and which all documents relating to the case will be submitted.

Public path orders made under the Highways Act 1981 and Town and Country Planning Act 1990 may be submitted to the Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs for determination to which all documents relating to the case will be submitted.
Internal departments When an enquiry requires further research from another council department then details will be passed over to complete the enquiry. 

How long do we store it and is it secure?

The council has retention schedules in place to ensure that information is only held for as long as it is needed. For information on how long your information will be held visit the retention explained page. 

Details of how we keep your information secure are available on the general privacy information page.

What rights do you have?

The rights that you have depend upon the grounds upon which we collected your information. All of the rights you could have outlined upon the data protection rights page. In most cases, people who have been involved with the custom build register will have the following rights:

  • The right of access – you are entitled to see the information we hold about you and can request a copy by emailing data.protection@eastriding.gcsx.gov.uk
  • The right to rectification – if you believe any information we hold about you to be incorrect, please email definitive.map@eastriding.gov.uk and we will amend the information accordingly.
  • The right to erasure – any comments made are on a voluntary basis and can be withdrawn at any time before an informal consultation process ends. However, after this, they cannot be deleted as they may be needed as part of the legal process that follows.
  • The right to restrict processing – should you wish us to limit how we use your data please email definitive.map@eastriding.gov.uk with the reason for your request.
  • The right to object – in addition to the right to limit the use of your data, you also have a right to object to the use of your data for certain actions. 

Where can I find out more?

If you want to know more about how the council uses information, your rights or have a concern about the way we are collecting or using your personal data, we request that you raise your concern with us in the first instance.

Contact details are available on the general privacy information page

Alternatively, you can contact the Information Commissioner’s Office.

Stay connected

Sign up for the latest news and updates from East Riding of Yorkshire Council.

We will use GovDelivery to send you emails, it is secure and you can choose to stop receiving emails at any time. Find out more in our Privacy notice.