Privacy notice for Early Years and Family Support Service SEND Information Advice and Support Service (SENDIASS)

What do we use the information for?

We use this information to deliver impartial information advice and support to parents/carers of children with special educational needs and disabilities, health and social care. This includes:

  • offering telephone and face-to-face advice to parents/carers and undertaking casework
  • publishing information on the Local Offer website
  • using anonymised information for general reporting and statistical purposes. 

What information do we hold and use?

We collect and process the following information:

  • Personal information (such as parent and child name, address, date of birth, telephone numbers and email addresses)
  • Characteristics (such as ethnicity, language, gender, disability, home circumstances and health information)
  • Reports and assessments from other professionals related to the child or young person
  • Details of doctors, school, college, early years setting, and other professionals involved with the child or young person. 

On what grounds do we use the information?

We collect and process this information under the Children and Families Act of 2014 and the Children Act 1989.

We process personal data for the following reasons:

  • You have given consent to the processing of your personal data for one or more specific purposes
  • Processing is necessary for compliance with a legal obligation to which the East Riding of Yorkshire Council is subject. 

We process special categories data for the following reasons:

  • You have given explicit consent to the processing of those personal data for one or more specified purposes
  • Processing is necessary to protect the vital interests of you or of another person where they/you are physically or legally incapable of giving consent. 

How do we collect this information?

We collect this information directly from parents via online forms, over the phone, in face-to-face meetings, by email and text messages and from other professionals where relevant.

Who do we share your information with?

We do not share information with other organisations unless with parent/carers' consent. If granted, we may share information with other service areas in East Riding of Yorkshire Council, schools, academies, colleges, early years settings and the NHS, where relevant. 

How long do we store it and is it secure?

The council has retention schedules in place to ensure that information is only held for as long as it is needed. For information on how long your information will be held visit the retention explained page. 

The council’s IT security and confidentiality policies ensure that your information is protected, and available only to staff directly involved in your care. Details of how we keep your information secure are available on the general privacy information page.

What rights do you have?

The rights that you have depend upon the grounds upon which we collect your information. All of the rights you could have are outlined on the data protection rights page. 

  • The right of access - You are entitled to see the information we hold about you and can request a copy by emailing data.protection@eastriding.gcsx.gov.uk 
  • The right to rectification - If you believe any information we hold about you to be incorrect, please email sendiass@eastriding.gov.uk and we will amend the information accordingly. 
  • The right to erasure/right to be forgotten - By providing a service to you under a statutory duty means that you can not request that your information is erased/forgotten. All requests for deletion should be sent to sendiass@eastriding.gov.uk
  • The right to restrict processing - Should you wish us to limit how we use your data please email sendiass@eastriding.gov.uk with the reason for your request. 
  • The right to object - In addition to the right to limit the use of your data, you also have a right to object to the use of your data for certain actions.  Please send your request to sendiass@eastriding.gov.uk.

CENEWLINKWhere can I find out more?

If you want to know more about how the council uses information, your rights or have a concern about the way we are collecting or using your personal data, we request that you raise your concern with us in the first instance.

Contact details are available on the general privacy information page. 

Alternatively, you can contact the Information Commissioner’s Office.

For more information about SENDIASS see:

East Riding Local Offer (external council website)


Council for Disabled Children (external website)

Stay connected

Sign up for the latest news and updates from East Riding of Yorkshire Council.

We will use GovDelivery to send you emails, it is secure and you can choose to stop receiving emails at any time. Find out more in our Privacy notice.