Privacy notice for East Riding archives service

What do we use the information for?

East Riding Archives (ERA) exists to collect, preserve and make available the archive and local studies collections in the custody of East Riding of Yorkshire Council. We preserve this unique collective memory for present and future generations. We encourage and support the use of these collections by everyone for research, learning and enjoyment.

We are based in the Treasure House building in Beverley where we provide a research room to enable you to use these sources. You can also request information about the collections by telephone, email, online form and letter.

Individuals, organisations and official bodies can add information to these collections by depositing, donating or transferring their archives and local studies sources to us. 

What information do we hold and use?

We may collect and process the following information about you to enable us to assist with your enquiry or visit:

  • your name
  • your contact details, which depend on how you have chosen to contact us
  • information relating to your enquiry so we can reply to it
  • information relating to your visit so we can help you during this. 

We also hold information in archive and local studies collections that have been deposited, donated and transferred by individuals, organisations and official bodies. Details about how we collect, manage and provide access to these items are available in these documents:

On what grounds do we use the information?

Information relating to your enquiry or visit is used by us so that we can assist you. We also process information relating to and contained in the archive and local studies collections in our custody. This information is processed for archiving purposes in the public interest.

East Riding of Yorkshire Council is appointed as an archive authority under the Local Government (Records) Act 1962 and Local Government Act 1972. Its powers relate both to the authority’s own administrative records and also to other records in its custody.

We provide an approved place of deposit for various classes of central government records that are held locally (public records) under the Public Records Acts 1958 and 1967. These include the records of quarter sessions courts, petty sessions courts, magistrates courts, coroners and the national health service.

East Riding archives is recognised by the Master of the Rolls as a repository for manorial and tithe records under the Law of Property Act 1922, the Tithe Act 1936 and subsequent documents rules.

We have delegated powers under the Parochial Registers and Records Measure 1978, as amended in 1993, with regard to parishes within the Archdeaconry of the East Riding in the Diocese of York.

Additional requirements relating to accessing information in records and archives have been added as part of the Freedom of Information Act 2000, the General Data Protection Regulation 2018 and the Environmental Information Regulations. These include a statutory right for individuals to have access to information, subject to exemptions and conditions.

How do we collect this information?

Information relating to your enquiry or visit may be collected from you by telephone, email, online form or letter and also provided by you in person during your visit.

We also hold information in archive and local studies collections that have been deposited, donated and transferred by individuals, organisations and official bodies. Details about how we collect these items are available in the:

Who we share your information with?

We may share information about your enquiry or visit with our data protection, freedom of information and legal teams to enable us to assist you.

Customers using original sources in our research room can choose to join the County Archive Research Network (CARN) reader ticket system. We share your information with other CARN services to enable you to use your reader ticket with them.

When individuals, organisations and official bodies deposit, donate or transfer archive and local studies collections to us we share information in these with other customers as explained in our deposit and gift agreements: 

Additional restrictions relating to how information in these collections is shared with other customers may be agreed when we receive them or after they have been catalogued. When these items have been listed we share this information about them with customers in our Online Catalogue. 

We also share information about collections held here with The National Archives (TNA) as part of its annual survey of recently received records. 

How long do we store it and is it secure?

The council has retention schedules in place to ensure that information is only held for as long as it is needed. 

For information on how long your information will be held visit the retention explained page. 

Details of how we keep your information secure are available on the general privacy information page.

What rights do you have?

The rights that you have depend on the grounds upon which we collected your information. All of the rights you could have are outlined on the data protection rights page. In most cases, people who have made an enquiry or visited us will have the following rights relating to the information that we collected from them during this:

  • The right to be informed – Individuals need to be aware of how their data is going to be used and for how long, in clear and simple language. The council also has to consider if children can understand the reasons why the authority is processing their data.
  • The right of access – You are entitled to see the information that we hold about you and can request a copy through a Subject Access Request (SAR).  Please email data.protection@eastriding.gcsx.gov.uk
  • The right to rectification – Individuals can have their personal data modified if it is inaccurate or incomplete. Please email archives.service@eastriding.gov.uk
  • The right to erasure/to be forgotten – You can request that your data is deleted in certain circumstances. These include when the data is no longer necessary, when consent is withdrawn, if the data was unlawfully processed or in relation to online services offered to a child. This is not an absolute right.  Please email archives.service@eastriding.gov.uk
  • The right to restrict processing – Individuals can limit how their data is used. When processing is restricted then data can only be stored and not used.  Please email archives.service@eastriding.gov.uk
  • The right to object – In addition to being able to limit the processing of your data, you can also object to how it is used in certain circumstances, for example in marketing. Please email archives.service@eastriding.gov.uk

Where can I find out more?

If you want to know more about how the council uses information, your rights or have a concern about the way we are collecting or using your personal data, we request that you raise your concern with us in the first instance.

Contact details are available on the general privacy information page

Alternatively, you can contact the Information Commissioner’s Office.