We are required to collect this information as part of our public functions and powers that are set out in UK law or the performance of specific tasks in the public interest, also set out in UK law. We do this so we can determine if you are eligible to vote, and to record you as a legitimate voter. The following is a list of all primary legislation relevant to the collection, processing and retention of personal data by electoral services:
- Local Government Act 1972
- Representation of the People Act 1983
- Electoral Administration Act 2006
- Electoral Administration Act 2013
- Electoral Registration (Disclosure of Electoral Registers) Regulations 2013
- European Parliamentary Elections Regulations 2004
- European Parliamentary Elections (Amendment) Regulations 2009
- Local Elections (Principal Areas) Rules 2006
- Neighbourhood Planning (Referendums) Regulations 2012.
We process personal data for the following reasons:
- GDPR Article 6(1)(e) – processing is necessary for the performance or task carried out in the public interest or in the exercise of official authority vested in the controller; and
- GDPR Article 6(1)(c) – processing is necessary for compliance with legal obligation to which the East Riding of Yorkshire Council is subject.
We process special category data for the following reason:
- GDPR Article 9(2)(a) - the data subject has given explicit consent to the processing of those personal data for one or more specified purposes, except where Union or Member State law provide that the prohibition referred to in paragraph 1 may not be lifted by the data subject.