Disabled facilities grant

Information about a disabled facilities grant, how to apply and how long it will take.

What is a disabled facilities grant?

Most people want to stay in their own home for as long as possible. If you are a disabled person there may be physical barriers that make it difficult for you to carry out ordinary day to day activities in your home. If you or someone you live with has a disability, you may be eligible for a grant to pay for adaptations to your home.

A disabled facilities grant is a means-tested council grant of up to £30,000 to assist with the costs incurred in adapting your home to allow access to normal household facilities. If the adaptation is for a child (under 19) you will not have to contribute to the cost.

This grant is available to owner-occupiers, private and housing association tenants (with the landlord’s permission) and council tenants who have had the work refused by housing services.

The adaptations must be necessary to meet the needs of the disabled person and also be reasonable and practical given the age and condition of the property.

The works include the following:

  • Ramps
  • Stairlifts
  • Door widening
  • Bathroom adaptations
  • Kitchen adaptations
  • Improvements to heating and lighting
  • Measures to make your home safe for a disabled person
  • Provision of reasonable access to a garden.

For more information please see the following document:

Disabled Facilities Grants (pdf 693kb)

Alternatively you can contact:

The Healthy Homes Team
Email: healthy.homes@eastriding.gov.uk
Tel: (01482) 393939

If you are a pensioner or disabled and would prefer to move to more suitable accommodation than have your current home adapted, we can provide help and advice on the housing options available to you. We can provide practical help when you move, and if you are in receipt of a means-tested benefit we can provide financial help towards the costs of moving.

If you would like more information on our Housing Options Advice Service please email housing.services@eastriding.gov.uk or telephone (01482) 393939.

How do I apply for a disabled facilities grant?

Before you can apply for a disabled facilities grant, you must first be assessed by an occupational therapist (OT) who will visit you to determine what you need to help you to live at home. If you need a major adaptation you will be referred to the home improvement and assistance team to apply for a disabled facilities grant.

You can arrange an assessment by an occupational therapist by visiting any Customer Service Centre or phone us:

Tel: (01482) 393939

How long will it take to get the disabled facilities grant works done?

All works covered by a mandatory disabled facilities grant must be completed within twelve months of the grant being approved.

There is, however, a waiting list for this grant as funding is limited.

For more information please contact:

The Healthy Homes Team
Email: healthy.homes@eastriding.gov.uk
Tel: (01482) 393939

Subscribe to East Riding of Yorkshire Council

Stay updated on the latest East Riding news

We use GovDelivery to send you emails, which is secure and you can choose to stop receiving emails at any time.

Find out more in our Privacy notice.

Subscribe to East Riding News