Routh Wind Farm Community Fund

The Routh Wind Farm Community Fund currently receives an annual donation from the developer. Find out more about funding information for communities here.

What is the Routh Wind Farm Community Fund and who is it for?

The first planning permission was granted in 2011 for the building of Hall Farm Wind Farm.  As part of this section 106 agreement the Routh Wind Farm community Fund was created and it received its first donation in March 2014.

The wind farm is now owned by John Laing plc who is continuing with the original commitment to the Community Fund and provides an index-linked annual donation to the Fund of around £40,000/annum.

John Laing plc (external website) 

What is the area of benefit for the Fund?

The area of benefit of the fund is the East Riding of Yorkshire with a preference for applications for projects within the proximity of the wind farm. 

What types of activities will the Fund support?

The fund is designed to promote initiatives for public benefit within a defined area (the area of benefit). The following types of projects are eligible for help from the Fund:

  • Charitable activities

  • Educational activities

  • Community activities

  • Energy efficiency activities

  • Environmental activities

  • Community amenities.

Who can make an application?

Applications are welcomed from community groups, community organisations, charities, parish councils, schools, churches, firms and societies.

New groups or ideas for projects where a group does not currently exist can be considered (please contact fund administrator for further advice).

Individuals may not apply.

Are there any activities that cannot be funded?

The following activities cannot be supported by the fund:

  • Any campaigns (e.g. political, religious or other campaigns)
  • statutory duties of public bodies including parish councils, local authority, police, health, fire, coastguard and national government
  • activities detrimental to the commercial operation of the wind farm.

How can the fund distribute money?

Payments from the fund will usually be made in the form of grants.  Subject to appropriate governance measures as required, other forms of financial assistance (e.g. commissioning, loans, donations) can be considered by the fund panel.  For further details contact the fund administrator at:

Email: ruralfunding@eastriding.gov.uk

For information on other funding opportunities please visit: Finding a grant

How much money can be applied for?

Applications for over £1000 should be made, online, to the main fund. There are no upper or lower limits on the amount of money that can be requested, however, the fund panel has indicated that applications above £15,000 would be considered exceptional.

Applications for under £1000 should be made to the Small Grant fund. This is a simpler application process for small one-off projects. Unlike the main fund (which is open to receive applications for three months), the Small Grant fund is open year-round.

Please also see the answer to 'How do I submit an application?'

Will the fund support 100% of the project costs?

The fund panel will generally support up to 80% of the costs of a project. However, in certain circumstances higher or lower limits may be applied.

How is the fund managed and who makes decisions about how it is spent?

Decisions are made by a fund panel made up of the representatives from the following organisations:

  • Tickton Parish Council
  • Routh Parish Council
  • Leven Parish Council
  • East Riding of Yorkshire Council
  • East Riding Voluntary Action Services
  • John Laing plc.

East Riding of Yorkshire Council is the Accountable Body for the fund and provides the secretariat and administration service through the council’s Rural Policy and Partnerships Team.

What are the deadlines and timescales?

The main fund is open and will close on 27 April 2021.

Applications to the Small Grants fund can be made at any time.

What is the outline process from start to finish?

  1. For the main fund, the applicant completes an online application form and submits it electronically with supporting evidence (including quotes, permissions, accounts and bank statements).  These forms can be accessed using the link in the 'How do I submit an application for funding?' section below. 
  2. For the Small Grants fund, the applicant downloads and completes a paper based application using the link in the 'How do I submit an application for funding?' section below.
  3. The online system acknowledges receipt of application
  4. The administrator carries out a technical appraisal (does the applicant have ability and permissions to carry out the project, does the project meet the fund criteria, has all the necessary information been supplied?)
  5. The application is sent to fund panel for scoring
  6. Fund panel meet and make a decision (full award, part award or decline)
  7. Administrator writes to unsuccessful applicants stating decision and reason
  8. Administrator writes to successful applicants offering funding and explaining any conditions that may apply
  9. Successful applicants write back accepting the offer of money and conditions
  10. Successful applicants submit a single invoice in advance for up to a total grant value of £10,000.  If the total grant is over £10,000 two payments will be made - one in advance and one on project completion.  Please note: normal payment terms are 30 days
  11. Successful applicants complete the project
  12. Successful applicants submit End of Grant report plus supporting evidence along with any final invoice as appropriate
  13. Administrator includes a report on the project in fund annual report
  14. Fund annual report presented at the annual review meeting.

The annual review meeting (open to all) is an opportunity to celebrate successful projects and for the fund panel to receive feedback from applicants and the community about the fund.

How do I submit an application for funding?

Applications to the main fund (over £1000) should be made online within the Flexi-Grant system. 

To access this system visit the Flexi-Grant website:

Flexi-Grant System (external council website)

There are two options on the system to choose from:

  • For small grant applications - select 'up to £10k' form
  • For larger grant applications  - select 'over £10k' form.

Both forms have Guidance Notes to help you complete the form.

Applications for up to £1000 should be made on the Small Grants form which, along with Guidance Notes, can be downloaded from the table below.

If you have any queries please contact the fund by email: ruralfunding@eastriding.gov.uk

For information on other funding opportunities please visit: Finding a grant

Stay connected

Sign up for the latest news and updates from East Riding of Yorkshire Council.

We will use GovDelivery to send you emails, it is secure and you can choose to stop receiving emails at any time. Find out more in our Privacy notice.