How to dispute your invoice and what happens if you do not pay your invoice

Find out what you can do if you do not agree with your invoice and why you may have received a reminder notice or court summons. Find out how you can discuss your circumstances with us to help you get out of debt.

I disagree with my invoice, what do I do?

If you do not agree with your charges/invoice please 'contact us' using the details below to provide details of your dispute. We will contact you once we have reviewed your dispute.


Tel: (01482) 394862

I have appealed against my invoice, what happens next?

If you dispute your invoice, we will liaise with the department who provided the service, they will investigate and inform you of the outcome.

I'm having financial difficulties, who can help me?

Please make an appointment to talk to us if you are having financial difficulties.

If you are struggling with your finances, you can make a telephone appointment with our welfare visiting team. They may be able to help you create a more suitable payment plan for your council tax and make sure you are claiming the benefits you are entitled to.

Free impartial debt advice

There are also a number of independent organisations who can provide useful advice and information for people who are experiencing financial problems.

Take a look at organisations that can offer financial and debt advice.

Find out what happens if you do not pay your invoice.

What happens if I don't pay my invoice?

You have been invoiced for services provided by the council and the amount is due on the date of the instalment, unless you have agreed to pay in instalments.

This is the legal process we follow if you don't pay your invoice, including reminders and court proceedings.


If you have not paid your instalment within 21 days of your invoice or are behind with your agreed instalment plan we will post a reminder to you. If you arrange to pay the outstanding amount (LINK TO PAYMENT SCREEN) and keep up to date with your payments, we won’t take any further action. If you ignore the reminder, we will refer this matter to the council's legal section to commence recovery proceedings, which may incur additional costs.

Please get in touch with us if you are having difficulty paying. Call us today on (01482) 394862.

Court Proceedings

If you receive court papers, this means that we have issued a County Court claim for the recovery of the outstanding amount.

If you do not pay the outstanding amount at this stage, together with any costs incurred, the council may obtain a County Court Judgment against you

County Court Judgment

If a County Court Judgment is obtained against you this is likely to affect your credit rating.

A County Court Judgment will also enable the council to take enforcement action against you, which could result in an attachment of your earnings, an order for payment to be made directly from your bank account or a visit to your property by a Court bailiff or High Court Enforcement Officer.

If you have received court papers and would like to speak to someone, please contact the Credit Control team in legal services on (01482) 393110.

Can I request a hold on recovery action and additional fees?

Read about the new, statutory scheme called ‘Breathing Space’ which is designed to provide people with debt problems the right to legal protection from creditors for a limited period of time.

Subscribe to East Riding of Yorkshire Council

Stay updated on the latest East Riding news

We use GovDelivery to send you emails, which is secure and you can choose to stop receiving emails at any time.

Find out more in our Privacy notice.

Subscribe to East Riding News