MOT tests

Find out what an MOT test is, how to book one with the council, how much it costs, partial retests and how to request a duplicate MOT certificate.

What is an MOT test and why do I need it?

An MOT test checks that your vehicle meets the minimum road safety and environmental standards. We can perform this test for you at any of our three test centres.

When to get an MOT

Unless you have a vehicle which is exempt, you must get an MOT for your vehicle:

  • at the third anniversary of its first registration date *    
  • on the anniversary of its last MOT, if your vehicle is 3 years old or over

* Depending on your vehicle type, you may need an MOT test at the first anniversary of its first registration date. To view the types of vehicles that need to be tested at one year old, take a look at the MOT fees table on the GOV.UK website

How long it lasts

An MOT lasts for a calendar year. The date it expires is printed on your current MOT certificate.

Booking your next MOT

The earliest you can book an MOT to preserve the previous expiry date is one calendar month (minus a day). For example, if your MOT runs out on the 15th May, the earliest you can get an MOT to keep the same renewal date for next year is the 16th April.

What if the MOT has run out?

You cannot drive your vehicle on the road if the MOT has run out. You can be prosecuted if caught.

The only exceptions are:

  • to drive the vehicle to or from somewhere to be repaired 
  • to take the vehicle to a pre-arranged MOT test

Please note: you can be fined up to £1,000 for driving a vehicle without a valid MOT certificate. 

Which types of vehicles can have MOT tests done by the council?

Eligible vehicles

We can provide MOT testing for the following types of vehicles at any of our three test centres:

  • cars (up to 8 passenger seats)
  • motor caravans
  • quads (max unladen weight 400kg - for goods vehicles 550kg and max net power of 15kw)
  • dual purpose vehicles
  • private hire and public service vehicles (up to 8 seats)
  • ambulances and taxis
  • private passenger vehicles and ambulances (9 to 12 passenger seats)
  • goods vehicles (up to 3,000kg design gross weight)
  • class 4 vehicles (9 to 12 passenger seats) with a seat belt installation check
  • private passenger vehicles and ambulances (13 to 16 passenger seats)
  • private passenger vehicles and ambulances (more than 16 passenger seats)
  • playbuses
  • private passenger vehicles and ambulances (13 to 16 passenger seats) with a seatbelt installation check
  • private passenger vehicles and ambulances (more than 16 passenger seats) with a seatbelt installation check
  • goods vehicles (over 3,000kg up to 3,500kg design gross weight)

Please note: the council test centres can only accommodate single decker vehicles.

Exempt vehicles

Vehicles that do not need an MOT include:

  • goods vehicles powered by electricity and registered before 1 March 2015 
  • tractors 
  • some historic (‘classic’) vehicles

Read about vehicles which are exempt from an MOT on the GOV.UK website.

How much does an MOT test cost?

Charges for MOT testing are based on your vehicle type:

How do I book an MOT test?

To book an MOT test online, you’ll need the following information: 

  • vehicle registration number
  • vehicle make
  • vehicle model 
  • any preferred test time 
  • at least one contact telephone number.

Please note: you can wait at the depot for your MOT test to be completed or you can leave your vehicle and return later. An MOT test takes approximately an hour.

Your MOT certificate will be extended by 6 months if it expires on or after Monday 30 March 2020 and up to and including Friday 31 July 2020.

Your MOT certificate will not be extended if your vehicle’s MOT expires on or after Saturday 1 August 2020. You must book an MOT as usual.

Find out more on the GOV.UK website

Due to technical issues, the online booking form below is currently unavailable. If you would like to make a booking, please call your nearest depot:

Beverley - Tel: (01482) 395781
Carnaby - Tel: (01262) 401973
Goole - Tel: (01405) 766938

Only card payments will be accepted at the depots. Cash payments can be made at any Customer Service Centre.

How should I prepare my vehicle for an MOT test?

We will not be able to perform an MOT test on your vehicle if:

  • your vehicle is so dirty that examination is unreasonably difficult
  • parts of the vehicle cannot be opened, such as a door, tailgate, boot, engine cover or the fuel cap
  • the vehicle is in a dangerous condition and considered unsafe 
  • the vehicle’s registration mark, Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) or frame number is missing or cannot be read clearly enough 
  • the vehicle cannot be driven due to lack of fuel, oil or any other reason
  • you are unable present a valid log book (V5C)
  • the vehicle emits substantial quantities of smoke

Please note: the above criteria also applies to a partial retest. Your vehicle needs to be in an appropriate and acceptable state for a partial retest to be completed.

How do I change or cancel an MOT booking?

Please call the depot where your test is booked:

Beverley: (01482) 395781

Carnaby: (01262) 401973

Goole: (01405) 766938

What if I missed my MOT test?

If you had an MOT test booking but failed to show on the day, you will receive an e-mail on the same day explaining what happens next. 

Please note: you may still be charged for the missed appointment.

What happens if my vehicle fails the MOT test?

Your vehicle will fail the MOT test if the test result lists ‘dangerous’ or ‘major’ defects. 

If your vehicle fails:

  • you will receive a VT30 'Refusal to issue a test certificate' 
  • the MOT test result will be recorded in the MOT database.

What happens next?

If your vehicle failed the test, you can book a free vehicle partial retest. This must be done within 10 working days of your vehicle failing its initial test. Read more about partial retests and how to book one.

Can I drive a vehicle that failed an MOT test?

If your vehicle failed the MOT test, you can take your vehicle away if:

  • your current MOT certificate is still valid 
  • no ‘dangerous’ defects were listed in the MOT 

Otherwise, you’ll need to get it repaired before you can take your vehicle away.

Please note: if you can take your vehicle away, it must still meet the minimum standards of roadworthiness at all times. You can be fined up to £2,500, be banned from driving and get 3 penalty points for driving a vehicle that has failed its MOT because of a dangerous problem. 

Can I book a partial retest for my failed MOT?

What is a partial retest?

A partial retest will examine all of the items that your vehicle failed on during the full test, any item(s) that may have been affected by the repairs and any minor defect or item advised on at the time of the initial test. 

If during a retest it is clear that the vehicle has any major or dangerous defects a new VT 30 Refusal to issue a test certificate must be issued.

Please note: your partial retest must take place at the same test centre as the original full test and it will take approximately 15 to 30 minutes. 

Booking a partial retest

A free partial retest is only available for 10 working days following the initial test. After this date a new MOT test must be undertaken and full MOT charges will apply.

  • follow the instructions in the email you received to inform you that your vehicle had failed, or
  • log into My Account, go to your account history, find your booking request and select the 'Update' button.

If you miss your partial retest

If you have an MOT retest booking but fail to show on the day, you will receive an e-mail on the same day explaining what will happen next. 

How do I get a duplicate MOT certificate?

You can do this in one of two ways:


Visit GOV.UK and order a duplicate MOT test certificate

This service is free. 

From the council's test centre

Please contact the test centre where your MOT was carried out. You will need to know the date of the original test when ordering.

Get in touch
Beverley (01482) 395781
Carnaby (01262) 401973

Goole (01482) 395787 

Your certificate will be ready next working day, Monday to Friday. We will advise you of the time when ordering.

Payment of £10 should be made upon collection of the certificate from the test centre, by cash, credit or debit card.

Where are the test centres?

The council has three test centres:

Beverley Depot, Annie Reed Road, Beverley HU17 0LF

Opening hours: 6am - 5pm Monday to Friday.

Carnaby Depot, Carnaby Industrial Estate, Bridlington YO15 3QY

Opening hours: 6am - 5pm Monday to Friday.

Goole Depot, Seavy Road, Goole DN14 6TA

Opening hours: 6am - 5pm Monday to Friday. 

How do I complain about my MOT test?

You can do this in one of two ways:

Contact us

If your vehicle failed an MOT test but you believe that it should have passed, you can contact us to discuss your case.

Email: motbeverley@eastriding.gov.uk  

Contact the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA)

You can appeal or complain to the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA) if you think the failure of your MOT test was wrong. This must be within 14 days of the test. Find out more about  MOT test result appeals on the GOV.UK website.

Stay connected

Sign up for the latest news and updates from East Riding of Yorkshire Council.

We will use GovDelivery to send you emails, it is secure and you can choose to stop receiving emails at any time. Find out more in our Privacy notice.