Armed Forces - Families, children and young people

Find out about the assistance available for military families including advice on schools, childcare, and practical and emotional support.

Education and childcare

Childcare support

Find information about childcare and funding in the East Riding of Yorkshire or email

Information on childcare for service families within the UK and overseas is available on the GOV.UK website.

The Wraparound Childcare (WAC) scheme is also available to assist working families with the cost of before and after school childcare and to allow partners to get back into work (or work more hours). Find more information on the GOV.UK website.

Children's Education Advisory Service

This service provides advice and guidance to service parents, educational establishments and local authorities on educational issues relating to service children, including issues relating to special educational needs and disabilities (SEND). All advice given is impartial, child-centred and focuses on the best interests of the individual.

More information is available on the GOV.UK website or call (01980) 618244.

School admissions in the East Riding

Find out about schools in the East Riding, including details of school applications, allocations and admissions.

Service Pupil Premium - information for parents

The Service Pupil Premium (SPP) is designed to help a school to provide the extra support that a service child may need and is currently worth £310 per service child who meets the eligibility criteria. Money is paid directly to the school for the total number of Service children as a whole within the school and not specifically allocated to individual children.

The scheme was introduced in recognition of the specific challenges children from service families' face. State schools, academies and free schools in England, which have children of service families in school years reception to year 11, can receive the SPP funding. Eligible schools receive the Service Pupil Premium so that they can offer pastoral support during challenging times and to help mitigate the negative impact on Service children of family mobility or parental deployment.

Find out more on the GOV.UK website.

Service personnel with children (reception to year 11) in state schools in England should notify schools of their children's service status to ensure they are recorded prior to the Spring census in order to qualify for Service Pupil Premium.

Service Pupil Premium - information for schools

Currently a child is eligible for Service Pupil Premium if:

  • One of their parents is serving in the Regular Armed Forces (including pupils with a parent who is on full commitment as part of the Full Time Reserve Service)
  • They have been registered as a 'Service child' on the school census at any point since 2016
  • One of their parents died whilst serving in the Armed Forces and the pupil receives a pension under the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme or the War Pensions Scheme

Examples of Good Practice

The Army Families Federation have created a list of ways that schools have used the Service Pupil Premium to support their children. Schools should consider these at their own discretion based on the needs of their individual children:

  • Learning Support Assistant dedicated to the emotional wellbeing and academic achievement of Service children
  • Computer equipment for Skype chat time
  • Half-termly social events for parents and children
  • Webpage for Service families
  • Themed visits and outings
  • Moving-schools support including 'My passport'
  • After school clubs
  • Camera equipment for photographs
  • Welcome films made by pupils
  • Deployment display boards
  • Memory boxes for children moving on
  • Homework support groups
  • Around the world assembly
  • Service children's base within school, with a bank of computers for scanning schoolwork to email to parents who are away and keep them in touch

Find out more on the Army Families Federation website.

Other useful sources of information are outlined below:

  • The Ministry of Defence has published a Best Practice Guide for ways to spend the Service Pupil Premium.
  • The Royal British Legion have developed a Guide for Schools.
  • Reading Force provides books and scrap books to children when their parent has been deployed. Find out more on the Reading Force website.
  • Service Children in State Schools (SCISS) is a voluntary affiliated network of state-maintained schools in England that have any number of Service children on roll. Find out more on the SCISS website.

Thriving Lives Toolkit

Designed by the Service Children's Progression (SCiP) Alliance and underpinned by rigorous research and thoroughly tested, the Thriving Lives Toolkit provides schools with a framework of 7 principles through which to reflect on their practice and a 3 tier set of CPD resources. The resources in this toolkit have been developed in collaboration with a range of partners across the UK, and consist of:

  • an introductory animation
  • a detailed resource introducing the evidence base, what schools can do to support their Service children and who can help
  • school case studies.

The SCiP Alliance is a partnership of organisations focused on improving outcomes for children from Military families. Their website has a number of resources for schools including research briefings around moving schools and non-operational separation (weekending).

Find out more about these resources and download the Thriving Lives Toolkit from the Service Children's Progression Alliance website.

Term Time Absence

After longer periods of deployment, Service individuals are granted periods of R&R (rest and recuperation), where they have time off to spend with family. This time may not coincide with school holidays which may result in term-time absence requests. Find out more about MOD advice to headteachers on term-time absence for Service children.

Higher education

As a member of the Armed Forces community you can get higher education advice from the University and Colleges Admissions Service (UCAS). This is also available to service children, veterans, reservists, and spouses and partners of UK Armed Forces personnel.

More information is available on the UCAS website.

There is also additional support and advice available:

Practical and emotional support

Army Families Federation (AFF)

The AFF is the independent voice of Army families and works hard to improve the quality of life for Army families around the world, offering confidential advice on any aspect of the Army lifestyle.

Find out what support the AFF can offer on their website.

Those preparing to transition out of the forces can also find out how to access support on the AFF website.

Army Welfare Service (AWS)

AWS is the Army's professional welfare provider; it delivers a comprehensive and confidential welfare service responsive to the needs of individuals, families and the Chain of Command in order to maximise the operation effectiveness of service personnel. This includes personal support such as:

  • domestic abuse
  • child and adult safeguarding
  • bereavement
  • relationship difficulties
  • stress and anxiety management
  • emotional wellbeing
  • signposting.

It also provides community support which includes learning and personal development opportunities for military personnel and their families wherever they are living. It offers non-formal education opportunities to children and young people including activities during school holidays and offsite residential experiences.

The local AWS office is based in York and provides support to the Defence School of Transport, Leconfield.

Find out more on the Army Welfare Service website, call (01904) 882053 or email

Local youth services are provided by the AWS at the Defence School of Transport, Leconfield.

Children and young people can take part in a range of youth club sessions including school holiday programmes, residentials and a monthly forest school.

To find out more about the local youth services provided by the AWS at the Defence School of Transport, Leconfield, call (01964) 561743.

Additional Needs & Disability: A Guide for Service Families

If a member of your family has an additional need and/or disability, there is a guide available which provides information about the support that the Ministry of Defence, Service charities and external organisations can offer you. View the Guide compiled by the FANDF Committee and the SSAFA Additional Needs and Disability Advisor.

Children and Young People Specialist Services (Special Educational Needs and Disabilities)

Parents with children who have educational and healthcare plans can self-refer for additional support from the 0-25 Special Educational Needs and Disabilities team.

Find out more on the East Riding Local Offer website or call (01482) 394000.

Select option 5, then option 2 to get through to the 0-25 team.

Guide for Army Families

This guide provides basic information on army life, the effects on you, your family and your serving soldier.

East Riding Libraries Armed Forces Covenant book collection

East Riding Libraries have created an Armed Forces Covenant book collection, which primarily provides books aimed at supporting young people whose friends or family members are serving in the Armed Forces.

View the collection and reserve books on the East Riding Libraries website.

East Riding Local Offer

The East Riding Local Offer provides clear, accessible information about what services are available in the area for parents, children and young people aged 0-25 years with Special Educational Needs and Disability (SEND).

Find out more on the Local Offer website.

East Yorkshire Parent Carer Forum

The East Yorkshire Parent Carer Forum collects parents' views to work with the local authority and health commissioners to improve services for children and young people (0-25 years) with special educational needs and disabilities.

Membership is open to any parent or carer living in East Yorkshire with a child or young person aged between 0 and 25 with disabilities or special needs. Members receive frequent updates and information as well as being able to attend events, training sessions, and provide feedback.

Find out more on the East Yorkshire Parent Carer Forum website.

Children and Young Person's SEND Information, Advice and Support Service (KIDS SENDIASS)

KIDS SENDIASS offers independent support and advocacy for children and young people aged 0-25 with special educational needs and/or disability both diagnosed and undiagnosed. The service provides impartial, confidential and free advice and support.

Find out more on the East Riding Local Offer website.

Family Services Directory

The Family Services Directory is a one-stop shop where you can get information on childcare within the East Riding, as well as local and national services for families with children and young people.

Find out more on the Family Services Directory website.

Families Information Service Hub (FISH)

The friendly, helpful FISH team provides free, impartial information for young people, parents and carers and professionals who have a role in supporting families.

FISH is a 'one-stop-shop' where you can get details of funding available for 2, 3 and 4 year olds as well as services in the East Riding for children and young people aged 0-20 years.

You can find information on:

  • childcare
  • children's centres
  • education and learning
  • health
  • leisure centres
  • money matters
  • parent toddler groups
  • support for parents and young people
  • activities and services for children with additional needs.

Find full details on the FISH website, call (01482) 396469 or email

Home-Start Hull

Home-Start Hull offers practical and emotional support to families with at least one child under 5 living in the Hull and Beverley areas.

Assistance is provided through home visiting volunteers, as well as telephone support and befriending.

Find out more on the Home-Start Hull website, visit the Home-Start Hull Facebook page or follow the Home-Start Hull Twitter feed.

Little Troopers

Little Troopers supports all children with one or both parents serving in the British Armed Forces, regular or reserve. They provide fundamental resources, initiatives and support to ease and aid repeated separation periods aiming to keep parent and child connected and bonded even when miles apart.

Find out more on the Little Troopers website.

RAF Benevolent Fund

The RAF's leading welfare charity supports all serving and former members of the RAF as well as their partners and dependent children.

They can help with:

  • welfare breaks
  • grants to help with financial difficulty
  • getting about inside and outside the home
  • specialist advice on benefits
  • support with care needs
  • support for young people.

Find out more on the RAF Benevolent Fund website.

Royal Air Force Families Federation (RAFFF)

RAFFF provides all RAF personnel and their families, regular and reserve, single or married, with timely and professional support, assistance and an independent voice regarding issues or concerns that they may have.

Find out more on the RAFFF website.

Royal Air Force - guidance and practical support

The Royal Air Force provides guidance and practical support for the partners and families of serving RAF personnel.

Find out more on the RAF website.

'Strengthening Families - By Your Side'

Every family needs some extra help from time to time. From discounted activity camps to specialist practical assistance, 'Strengthening Families - By Your Side' offers Royal Navy and Royal Marines families the right support at the right time.

Find out more on the Royal Navy & Royal Marines Charity website.

Special Educational Needs and Disabilities Information, Advice and Support Service (SENDIASS)

SENDIASS provides information, advice and support to parents and carers of children and young people aged 0-25 with special educational needs or disabilities and can also give information and advice directly to children aged 0-16. The service provided is impartial and confidential. Referrals are only accepted from parents, carers and children aged 0-16.

Find out more on the East Riding Local Offer website, email or call (01482) 396469.

You can also contact SENDIASS by texting 07507 310273 (text only).

Youth groups and volunteering

Information on local youth groups and volunteering opportunities for young people is available on our Community and relationships webpage.


Domestic abuse - where to get help?

Any victim of domestic abuse has the right to be supported and to stay safe. There are many support services, both local and national, that can help you if you are experiencing domestic abuse.

GOV.UK Domestic abuse: guidance and support for the Armed Forces community

GOV.UK Armed Forces domestic abuse: where to get help

East Riding Council: domestic violence - adults or call (01482) 396368

East Riding Council: domestic violence - children aged 6-16 or call (01482) 396368


Childline is a free, private and confidential service to help anyone under 19 in the UK with any issue they are going through.

Calling Childline does not show up on the phone bill.

More information is available on the Childline website or to talk to a counsellor, call free on 0800 1111.


The NSPCC is the UK's leading children's charity, preventing abuse and helping those affected to recover.

Find out more on the NSPCC website.

If you are worried about a child, even if you're unsure, contact the NSPCC for help, advice and support. Call on 0808 800 or email


Bereavement Scholarship Scheme

This scheme is available to provide scholarships for the children of service personnel whose death has been attributed to service since 1990.

Find more information on the GOV.UK website.

Child Death Helpline

This is a freephone service for anyone affected by the death of a child of any age, whether they are parents, grandparents, siblings, family members, friends or involved professionals. It offers a confidential, safe environment within which a caller can talk openly about the child's life and death. Support is available not only at times of crisis but also for ongoing needs of callers over their lifetime.

The helpline is open every day of the year. Call 0800 282 986 or 0808 800 6019 if calling from a mobile.

Cruse Bereavement Care

Cruse can provide support directly to the family and partners of service personnel through their national helpline and network of local services.

Find more information on the Cruse Bereavement Care website.

You can call the national helpline on 0808 808 1677, or alternatively, to access support at a local branch (Hull, Bridlington and Goole) call (01482) 565565 or email

Soldier, Sailors, Airmen and Families Association (SSAFA) support groups

SSAFA offer various support groups for bereaved families, offering the opportunity to speak to a different network of people.

Find more information on the SSAFA website.

The Compassionate Friends

This is a charitable organisation of bereaved parents, siblings and grandparents dedicated to the support and care of other similarly bereaved family members who have suffered the death of a child or children of any age and from any cause.

Find more information on the Compassionate Friends website or call 0345 123 2304.

The Independent Inquest Advice (IIA) Service

The IIA provides free legal advice to bereaved service families. They can help if a family member has died while serving in the UK Armed Forces (death does not have to be related to combat), or a family member has died while on active duty in the reserve forces (including travelling to and from duty).

The IIA can also help you with referrals to other support services, specialist lawyers, and outside agencies that will work with you throughout the process.

Find more information on the IIA website or call the helpline on 0808 802 8080.

Winston's Wish

Winston's Wish support children and young people after the death of a parent or sibling.

Find further information on the Winston's Wish website. You can access support via the helpline 0808 802 0021 and online chat. Support is also available as an email service, drop-in sessions or face-to-face meetings.

What other support and advice is available?

A wide range of services and support is available to help you, whatever your needs.

These pages are also useful if you support members of the Armed Forces community as part of your job, or as a friend, carer or family member.

Community and relationships

Employment, education and skills

Health and wellbeing


Money advice

General advice and support

Supporting the Armed Forces community

Armed Forces Covenant

If there is something that you need help with that is not listed, or any information needs updating, please email or call (01482) 391426.

Subscribe to East Riding of Yorkshire Council

Stay updated on the latest East Riding news

We use GovDelivery to send you emails, which is secure and you can choose to stop receiving emails at any time.

Find out more in our Privacy notice.

Subscribe to East Riding News