Armed Forces - Housing

Find out how members of the Armed Forces community can access housing advice and support.

Finding a home

Affordable housing

Affordable housing is housing to meet the needs of people who do not have sufficient income to pay for open market housing to rent or buy. It is usually provided by the council or housing associations and can be rented or purchased at less than market prices.

Find out about affordable housing (including shared ownership housing) in the East Riding.

Council housing

In some situations members of the Armed Forces may be given additional priority. Find the full eligibility criteria in the Council House Allocation policy.

Council House Allocation policy (pdf 616kb)

Find out about renting a house from the council, call housing services on (01482) 396301 or email

Forces Help to Buy scheme

This scheme enables servicemen and servicewomen to borrow up to 50% of their salary, interest free, to buy their first home or move to another property on assignment or as their family's needs change.

The scheme has been extended to 31 December 2022 to help address the low rate of home ownership in the Armed Forces.

Find out more on the GOV.UK website.


Our help for homeless people page provides information on where to get help if you are:

  • facing eviction from service family accommodation
  • homeless
  • being threatened with homelessness.

Call (01482) 396301 or email

Hull and East Riding Citizens Advice can also support you with applying for homeless help. Find out more on the Hull and East Riding Citizens Advice website.

The Government has also launched an Op FORTITUDE hotline for veterans who are homeless or at risk of homelessness and the organisations working with them. Find out more on the GOV.UK website. Referrals can be made be calling 0800 952 0774 or via an online referral form.

New government-funded hotline to end veteran homelessness now live across the UK - GOV.UK

Ministry of Defence Tenancy Deposit Scheme

This scheme allows defence personnel to apply for an advance of salary loan to help meet the cost of a deposit for a rental property.

Find more information on the GOV.UK website.

Renting from a private landlord

If you wish to rent a home privately, you can rent either directly from the landlord or through a letting agent, but in either case check to see if they belong to an accreditation scheme, and what fees you will be charged.

You'll usually pay the first month's rent and the deposit (typically equal to the first month's rent) on the day you move into the property. Your landlord must protect your deposit in a government-approved tenancy deposit protection scheme.

Information on your rights and responsibilities is available on the GOV.UK website.

Find out about renting from a private landlord in the East Riding.

Find out more on the Hull and East Riding Citizens Advice website

Take a look at this guide which has been developed for veterans, serving personnel, reservists and their families looking to rent private accommodation in the East Riding. It also includes information on where to get local help and support with any housing or financial issues.

Armed Forces Private Sector Renting Guide 2024 (pdf 1.25mb)

Service family accommodation

The provision of good quality living accommodation for service personnel and their families is an important priority for the Ministry of Defence.

Guidance for service families about applying for, maintaining, moving in and out of and living in UK service family accommodation is available on the GOV.UK website.

My Space Housing Solutions

My Space Housing Solutions are a charitable housing association and registered provider, with four veteran specific schemes for self-contained accommodation in Hull, Chesterfield, Darlington and Gateshead. My Space matches a highly trained housing support officer with each resident who will provide information, advice and guidance on a wide range of issues.

Find out more, including details on how to make a referral on the My Space Housing Solutions website.

Single Persons Accommodation Centre for the Ex-Services (SPACES)

SPACES is a housing advice and placement service for single veterans being discharged from all three military services. It supports the most vulnerable of service leavers, regardless of rank, length of service, or reason for discharge.

Find out more on the Riverside website, email or call (01748) 833797 or Catterick Military 94731 2940.

Veterans Launchpad

Launchpad provides safe, secure accommodation and other essential support to veterans to help them make a successful transition to civilian life. Since 2013, they have supported over 520 veterans from their two houses at Avondale House in Newcastle upon Tyne and Speke House in Liverpool. Find out more on the Veterans Launchpad website, call 0300 1111 238 or email

Housing support and advice

Council tax support

Council tax support is a means-tested council tax reduction and therefore the support you receive will depend on income and household circumstances. The council's benefit team administer council tax support claims for residents who are on a low income.

Find out more on our housing benefit and council tax support section or call (01482) 394799.

Discretionary housing payment

If you are struggling to pay your rent, the council might be able to offer you a discretionary housing payment. This is a short-term payment from the council to help cover some housing costs.

Anyone who requires further assistance with housing costs, and is currently claiming housing benefit or the housing element of Universal Credit can claim a discretionary housing payment.

Find out how to apply for this on our help paying your rent webpage.

East Riding Armed Forces Money Advice Service

This service provides tailored support for local serving personnel, veterans and their families, including financial and legal advice and in-depth help on related generalist advice issues including housing.

The service, funded by the council, is delivered by Hull and East Riding Citizens Advice. It takes referrals from both partner organisations and self-referrals from members of the Armed Forces community themselves.

Email, fill in the self-referral form online or call (01482) 328990.

Families Federations

The Families Federations provide support on housing and accommodation issues. These websites provide further information:

Emergency assistance

The council's emergency assistance scheme is to help residents of the East Riding who are in crisis where they have had an interruption to their regular income, or require assistance when establishing themselves or remaining within the community.

Help can be provided with daily living costs, housing-related costs and household items/furniture.

Find out more on our emergency assistance webpage or call (01482) 394799.

Energy Efficiency at Home

For information on how to make your home more energy-efficient and insulated, including tips on how to save money on fuel bills, visit the Council's energy efficiency page.

Get help if you're being evicted

Hull and East Riding Citizens Advice can offer support and advice if you're being evicted. Find out more on the Hull and East Riding Citizens Advice website.

Guide for the Armed Forces community

The Government have produced guidance on the housing options and services available to serving personnel and veterans, and their families who live or intend to live in England. Find out more on the GOV.UK website.

Housing benefit

Housing benefit is for people on a low income. It helps to pay for part or all of the rent. Find further information and guidance on how to make a claim in our housing benefit and council tax support section or call (01482) 394799.

Hull and East Riding Citizens Advice

Citizens Advice can help and advise you if you are homeless, being threatened with eviction or repossession, are in dispute with your landlord over your tenancy or condition of your property or you want to know how to get your deposit back from a landlord.

Find more information on the Hull and East Riding Citizens Advice website or call 03444 111 444.

Citizens Advice also provide advice on housing options for people leaving the Armed Forces, veterans and their families.

Find out more on the Citizens Advice website.

Humberside Fire and Rescue Service

Humberside Fire and Rescue Service can provide you with important safety advice for you and your family. To determine if you are eligible for a Safe and Well visit, please visit the Humberside Fire and Rescue Service website or alternatively you can call 0300 303 8242.

You can also visit their website to find important fire safety information.

Joint Service Housing Advice Office (JSHAO)

This is the Ministry of Defence's tri-service focal point.

It provides service personnel and their dependants with civilian housing information:

  • for those wishing to move to civilian accommodation at any time in their career
  • during resettlement to assist with the transition to civilian life.

Find more information on the GOV.UK website.

All service personnel and their families can access an annual briefing programme at any stage of their service career. The Defence School of Transport in Leconfield hosts one of these annual briefings.

Find more information on the GOV.UK website.

Mortgage issues

Hull and East Riding Citizens Advice offer support and advice on how to avoid falling behind with your mortgage payments, how to clear your debt if you do fall behind and what happens if you're taken to court because of mortgage debts. Find out more on the Hull and East Riding Citizens Advice website.

Neighbour issues

Hull and East Riding Citizens Advice offer support and advice about how to deal with some of the problems that you might have in your neighbourhood. Find out more on the Hull and East Riding Citizens Advice website.

Repairs in rented housing

Hull and East Riding Citizens Advice offer support and advice about tenants' and landlords' responsibilities to do repairs and what options you have if your landlord doesn't meet their obligations. Find out more on the Hull and East Riding Citizens Advice website.

SSAFA (housing advice)

SSAFA offer impartial guidance around housing issues for those who have left the Armed Forces.

Their guidance includes:

  • homelessness
  • housing benefits
  • accessing social housing
  • tenants' rights
  • mortgage arrears
  • repossession
  • eviction.

Advisors also work together with their wider volunteer network to try and source financial assistance to solve housing problems, for example finding money for a deposit or to clear mortgage arrears.

Find out more on the SSAFA website or call 0800 731 4880 for advice.

The Royal British Legion (housing advice and support)

The Royal British Legion provides a range of housing support and advice, including a helpful guide outlining practical advice and the responsibilities of government and housing authorities.

Find more information on the Royal British Legion website.

Transition to civilian life - housing

The Army runs a programme of Transition Individual Planning and Personal Development (IPPD), which aims to ensure that service leavers are given all the relevant information needed to make an informed choice allowing a smooth transition into civilian life.

Find advice about securing private accommodation and house purchases on the Army website.

Veterans' Gateway (housing advice)

Veterans' Gateway provides expert advice and information for veterans seeking housing support, including:

  • renting and buying
  • eviction
  • homelessness
  • service accommodation
  • care homes
  • supported housing.

Find more information on the Veterans' Gateway website.

Veterans UK

Veterans UK provide free support for veterans and their families, including a helpline, Veterans Welfare Service and injury/bereavement compensation scheme payments.

They also offer advice on accommodation and housing and help veterans get appropriate support from:

  • government
  • local authorities
  • independent bodies
  • the charity sector.

Email or call 0808 191 4218.

Veterans Village

The Hull 4 Heroes Veterans Village project aims to develop a self-sustaining site for the housing and rehabilitation of ex-service men and women. The village will provide a unique place to provide support to those individuals requiring help when adjusting to civilian life. Along with their supporters, Hull 4 Heroes hope to create the world's first purpose-built centre that will provide a safe and stable platform for veterans, where they can create a happy and purposeful live for themselves and their families in civilian society.

Find out more on the Veterans Village website.

Warm and Safe Homes Advice Service (National Energy Action)

National Energy Action provide a Warm and Safe Homes Advice Service, to help those householders who are worried about keeping their homes warm and paying their energy bills.

Find out more on the NEA website.

What other support and advice is available?

A wide range of services and support is available to help you, whatever your needs.

These pages are also useful if you support members of the Armed Forces community as part of your job, or as a friend, carer or family member.

Community and relationships

Employment, education and skills

Families, children and young people

Health and wellbeing

Money advice

General advice and support

Supporting the Armed Forces community

Armed Forces Covenant

If there is something that you need help with that is not listed, or any information needs updating, please email or call (01482) 391426.

Subscribe to East Riding of Yorkshire Council

Stay updated on the latest East Riding news

We use GovDelivery to send you emails, which is secure and you can choose to stop receiving emails at any time.

Find out more in our Privacy notice.

Subscribe to East Riding News