Objects

Title: Beverley Minster from the Friary
Item Name: Painting

Maker(s):
Elwell, Mary Dawson

Description:

Townscape featuring a view of Beverley Minster from the south east, across the gardens of nearby houses. The gable end of the Friary is visible to the right and the prominent building on the left marks the line of Friars Lane. One of the houses in the Friary was occupied by a Miss Woodmansey, who took in washing for a living. She managed her business with only a gas ring for heating the water and dried it in her garden. The green paint on the gates was known as "Hodgson's green", as it was a shade used to paint parts of the local tannery. 'Antique look' gilt wooden frame. 1 of 55 works bequeathed by Fred Elwell.


Year: 1934
Materials: oil; wood; gilt; canvas
Measurements: L:77/62cm, W:88/75cm
ID_Number: ERYMS (BAG) : 1997.54

Related People

Elwell, Mary Dawson
British
View
Elwell, Mary Dawson
British
View

Related Publications

Mary D. Elwell, S.W.A. Stepping from the Shadows
Loncaster, Wendy
2001
View