Subjects

Butcher Row

buildings
streets

Butcher Row, Beverley, was originally part of the High Street and by the end of the 13thc was known as Fishmarketgate. By the 18thc, the street was called Butcher Row or Walkergate and by the 19thc, only the former name was in use. 15thc records suggest that town fairs, Corpus Christi and Pater Noster processions/play cycles may have been held here. Housing plots in Medieval Butcher Row were 9 1/2 to 11 1/2 feet wide, this measurement coinciding with the usual size of house bays (and presumably related to width of the 1st floor beams). Later houses are often multiples of the Medieval originals. No.13 has only a single bay frontage - an original feature? Up to c1660, many properties combined shops and living spaces. At this time many builders decorated their houses with ornate classical cornices (a fragment remains at no.s 7-9). During the 1760's, the builder William Middleton (a major contributor to the Georgian architecture of the town) bought up some old cottages in the Row and erected a substantial property (now no.s 16-18). In the early 20thc, several old timber framed buildings were demolished. In 1916, the Marble Arch cinema was built, named after an adjacent passageway. No.s 25-29 were demolished in 1967 and the site occupied by Safeways supermarket.

Related Objects

thumbnail Butcher Row, Beverley
1912 (pre)
View
thumbnail Well Lane, Beverley
1865
View