Bulky waste collections

Options for recycling or getting rid of bulky waste and household electrical items, how to book a bulky waste collection from the council and guidance on using a local waste removal company.

Find out more about the Dove House reuse collection scheme

What is bulky waste and how can I dispose of it?

Bulky waste’ is any household item that cannot be disposed of in any of your wheelie bins, such as furniture or electrical goods.

How can I dispose of my bulky waste?

You can dispose of your bulky waste in 4 ways:

  1. Find out if it can be repaired or reused by a charity or organisation.

  2. Take it to a Household Waste Recycling Site (HWRS).

  3. Check to see if the council can collect it for you (Bulky Waste Collection).

  4. Read more about electrical goods recycling and disposal.

  5. Find a legally operating waste removal company who can take your waste away and charge you to do so. As you are still responsible for your waste once it has been collected from your house, you must ensure the waste removal company is operating legally.

Please note: if the waste is from your business, read about how to dispose of your business waste legally.

Which types of bulky waste can the council collect and how much will it cost?

We offer two types of bulky waste collections to cover 'standard' and 'non-standard' items. Find out which of these your waste is, and if we can collect it:

Standard items - costs

For the council to collect your 'standard' bulky waste, such as sofas or ovens, it will cost:

  • £37 for between 1 and 5 items
  • £74 for between 6 and 10 items.

Non-standard items - quotes

Following the completion of the booking form, we will send you a quote for the cost of removing 'non-standard' items, such as kitchen or bathroom suites, sheds, and radiators, however, the minimum cost for the removal of any non-standard items will be £46.20.

Can I book and pay for a collection?

Please answer the following simple questions to help us determine whether we can collect your waste. If we can, we'll provide a link to a booking and enquiry form.

Please note: if your waste is classed as 'standard' you will be able to book and pay online. If your waste is classed as 'non-standard' (or mixed with standard items) your enquiry will be sent to us, and we will send you a quote. Read more about quotes.

If you last used your account on or before Tuesday 1 August 2023 you will need to register again. Please continue, and follow the instructions when prompted.

Can I accept your quote for non-standard items and organise collection?

Once you have received your quote (by email or post, whichever you choose when you submit the form) you can accept it through the following methods:


Call (01482) 393939 to book and pay for your collection. You can pay by:

  • debit card - Visa Debit, Maestro, Solo, Visa Electron or Delta

  • credit card - Visa or Mastercard.

Customer service centre

Visit any of our customer service centres to book and pay for your collection. You can pay by:

  • debit card - Visa Debit, Maestro, Solo, Visa Electron or Delta

  • credit card - Visa or MasterCard

  • cash

  • cheque (made payable to 'East Riding of Yorkshire Council').


Sign the collection request from your quote and return it to us at the address below with a cheque made payable to ‘East Riding of Yorkshire Council’.

East Riding of Yorkshire Council
Support Services
Willerby Depot
Viking Close
Great Gutter Lane
HU10 6DZ.

Upon receipt of the cheque, we will contact you to arrange collection.

Don't want to accept the quote?

If you don't want us to come and collect your waste, please call us on (01482) 393939 to let us know.

When will you collect my bulky waste?

Bulky waste collections run from Tuesday to Friday every week. The day that your waste can be collected on depends on the area that you live in:

Where should I leave my bulky waste for you to collect?

Leave your items outside on the ground floor of your own property in a place that is easy for us to access. They should be available from 7am on the day of collection.

Please note: we are unable to enter your home, garage, shed or an outbuilding to collect your bulky items. If you're unable to put the items out for collection yourself, please ask a family member, friend or neighbour for help.

How do I arrange for Dove House Hospice to collect my fridge, freezer and other large electrical items free of charge?

As part of a joint project, the offer of free collections applies to the following items:

  • fridges
  • freezers
  • combined fridge/freezers
  • washing machines
  • tumble dryers
  • dishwashers
  • electric cookers and ovens
  • microwave ovens.

All appliances MUST be in good working order order, suitable for resale and pass an electrical safety test (PAT test) when they collect them.

For more information about donating your unwanted electricals and arranging a collection, please call:

The Reuse Electricals Shop
Tel: (01482) 586238 or
Email: electricals@dovehouse.org.uk

Items can also be taken to your nearest Household Waste Recycling Site (HWRS) and placed in the reuse container. As well as the items been reused after having electrical and functionality tests, all proceeds go to Dove House Hospice.

Subscribe to East Riding of Yorkshire Council

Stay updated on the latest East Riding news

We use GovDelivery to send you emails, which is secure and you can choose to stop receiving emails at any time.

Find out more in our Privacy notice.

Subscribe to East Riding News