Business waste

What business waste is and how to dispose of it, waste transfer notes and how to reduce your business waste.

What is classed as business waste?

Anyone who gets paid for their services is a business, even if they're just a sole trader. Business waste can come from:

  • shops, offices, factories, restaurants or other business premises
  • mobile businesses such as beauticians, window cleaners or gardeners
  • tradesmen such as builders, plumbers, tilers and kitchen fitters
  • charities and non-profit organisations.

If you use part of your home to run your business then any waste from that part is business waste and must not disposed of in your household waste collection.

Do I need a business waste collection?

Yes, if you are the owner of a business of any size, you are legally responsible for the waste your business produces. You have a legal duty to:

Are business waste collections included in business rates?

No, we do not include it in your business rates so you have the freedom to choose how you dispose of your business waste.

How can I get rid of my business waste?

You can use the council's competitive and professional commercial waste collection service. We offer tailor made solutions for both general waste and recyclables. Find out more on our commercial waste website:

East Riding Commercial Waste services

Other options:

You can also:

  • contact an alternative local waste carrier but please ensure they are registered on the Environment Agency website
  • take your business waste to a waste transfer station or other licensed waste site, but you must first register as a waste carrier on the GOV.UK website. You must not take your waste to any of our household waste recycling centres as we are not licensed to accept commercial waste.

Please note: if any of your business waste is classified as hazardous, you must make special arrangements to dispose of this. You can check if your waste is hazardous on the GOV.UK website.

What are waste transfer notes?

For each load of non-hazardous waste that is moved off your premises you need a waste transfer note or a document with the same information, such as an invoice. You can find out more about waste transfer notes on the GOV.UK website:

GOV.UK - Waste transfer notes

Subscribe to East Riding of Yorkshire Council

Stay updated on the latest East Riding news

We use GovDelivery to send you emails, which is secure and you can choose to stop receiving emails at any time.

Find out more in our Privacy notice.

Subscribe to East Riding News