Resident's pass for household waste recycling sites (tips)

Car users need to show proof of residency or a resident's pass. Vans, 2-door pick-ups, sign-written vehicles and some trailers need a permit to use our tips.

Who can use a household waste recycling site (tip) in the East Riding?

Our household waste recycling sites are only available to residents who live within East Riding. From Friday 1 October, you will need proof to show that you live in the East Riding when you visit any of our sites. Proof can be any of the following:

  • household waste recycling site resident's pass
  • valid driving licence with your East Riding address on it
  • utility bill, such as a gas or water bill, showing your East Riding address (dated within the last 3 months)
  • council tax bill (dated within the last 12 months)
  • bank statement (dated within the last 3 months).

If you do not have a paper copy of a document we will accept proof of residency on a phone or tablet.

You will be refused entry to the site if you do not have valid proof.

Please note: if you drive a van, 2-door pick-up, sign-written vehicle or have a trailer that is larger than 6ft x 4ft (1.8m x 1.2m) you'll need a permit to enter a household waste recycling site (tip).

Find out more about permits.

Find a household waste recycling site.

What is a household waste recycling site resident's pass?

A resident's pass is a small paper ticket that will allow you entry to any household waste recycling site in East Riding.

One pass has been issued, free of charge to every household in the East Riding. The pass can be used in any non-commercial vehicle within that household. Find out about tip permits for commercial vehicles.

Passes are valid until December 2022, and will be renewed each year.

There is no need to apply for a pass.

HWRS Resident's Pass

HWRS resident's pass (actual pass is credit card size)

How do I use a resident's pass?

You must display your resident's pass in the front windscreen of your vehicle so the site attendant can see it easily.

If you do not display your pass, a site attendant will approach you and ask for an alternative form of identification that proves you live in the East Riding. If you are unable to provide proof, or you are not an East Riding resident, you will be turned away.

When will I receive my pass?

Your pass has been sent to you along with the leaflet advising you of changes to our bin collection dates.

If you have misplaced the pass or did not receive one, please use an alternative proof of address to access our household waste recycling sites.

What should I do with the pass if I move?

If you move to an address in East Riding, you can take your resident's pass with you and continue to use it at your new address.

If you move to an address outside the East Riding area, please leave your resident's pass at your old home so it is available for the new residents to use.

I’m a new resident, how do I get a pass?

If you moved into East Riding after Monday 16 August 2021, and the previous occupier did not leave their pass, please use an alternative proof of address to access our household waste recycling sites.

You’ll receive a resident's pass in December 2022, when we renew the passes for all residents.

Can I get a replacement pass?

You will be issued 1 resident's pass per year. Please take care not to damage or lose your pass as it will not be replaced.

You can still access any of our household waste recycling sites as long as you have proof that you live in the East Riding.

A new pass will be sent to you in December 2022, when we renew all resident's passes.

Subscribe to East Riding of Yorkshire Council

Stay updated on the latest East Riding news

We use GovDelivery to send you emails, which is secure and you can choose to stop receiving emails at any time.

Find out more in our Privacy notice.

Subscribe to East Riding News