Dead animals

Report a dead, injured or stranded animal, what to do if you hit an animal with your car, what happens to dogs or cats removed by the council and how to dispose of dead animals.

Can I report a dead animal?

Please note: if you find dead wild birds such as swans, geese, ducks, gulls or birds of prey, you should report this to the Defra helpline, as they may want to collect and test them for bird flu. Do not touch or pick up any dead or visibly sick birds that you find.

Tel: 03459 33 55 77

What happens with a dog or cat that is removed by the council?

The dead animal will be taken and scanned for a microchip. When a chip is located the owners will be notified. If no chip is found the animal will be disposed of.

How should I dispose of my dead animals such as pets or livestock?


Please note: the council will not remove dead pets from your home.

You can bury small domestic pet animals such as a dog or cat on your land, for example in your back garden, and you don’t need permission to do so. Alternatively contact a vet or recognised pet undertaker.

For the burial of larger animals, such as pet horses, you must follow government guidance about the burial of larger animals available on the GOV.UK website.

Disposal of dead livestock

All dead livestock (not wild animals) must be disposed of appropriately. Under normal circumstances, it is prohibited to bury or burn dead farm animals. When you find fallen stock, you should arrange for it to go to an approved:

  • knacker facility

  • hunt kennel

  • incinerator

  • renderer

  • maggot farm.

You can do this either by private arrangement using an authorised carrier or under the national fallen stock scheme.

The National Fallen Stock Company website can provide information on the national fallen stock scheme.You can also contact their helpline:

Tel: 0845 054 8888

Read more about animal by-product categories, site approval, hygiene and disposal on the GOV.UK website.

What should I do if I hit an animal with my car?

You must stop and report the accident to the police if you hit a:

  • dog

  • horse

  • cow

  • pig

  • goat

  • sheep

  • donkey or mule.

You must do this as quickly as you can, whether the animal is killed or not.

Subscribe to East Riding of Yorkshire Council

Stay updated on the latest East Riding news

We use GovDelivery to send you emails, which is secure and you can choose to stop receiving emails at any time.

Find out more in our Privacy notice.

Subscribe to East Riding News