Dog control and ownership

Report lost, stray, dangerous or barking dogs, report dog fouling, report animal cruelty, advice on responsible dog ownership, microchipping and neutering.

What are the Dog Wardens responsibilities around the ban on XL Bully dogs?

Dog Wardens do not have any involvement in the exemption process or enforcing this ban, therefore we would suggest visiting the government website for further information:

GOV.UK - XL Bullys and the forthcoming ban (external website)

Defra has advised that there is no expectation on local authority officers to provide advice to members of the public on whether their individual dog may fall within scope of the ban, and to clarify with owners that it is up to the owner or keeper to identify whether they think their dog may be in scope.

Can I report a barking dog?

Please note: we suggest you try an informal approach in the first instance, as involving the council can sometimes damage relations with your neighbours.

Read more about resolving problems with barking dogs

Talking to your neighbour

If you do not feel comfortable speaking to them directly at first, we have provided a template letter which you can amend for your situation.

Initial noise letter for barking dog (word 24kb)

Making a complaint

If you make a complaint to us about noise from a barking dog, you can expect an initial response within 10 working days.

After submitting your complaint, you will be sent a 'noise diary sheet' to complete and return. Our dog wardens will then try to resolve the complaint without having to take legal action, by giving practical advice and demonstrations. Legal action may be taken if no improvement is made.

Further advice on barking dogs and other noise-related issues can be found on the Noise nuisance website:

Noise nuisance (external website)

Are there laws on dog fouling/using a lead/where I can walk my dog?

Yes, there are local laws in the East Riding, known as 'Public Spaces Protection Orders'.

These include:

  • having to clear up after your dog if it fouls on land in the open air which the public has access to.
  • certain areas where dogs are not allowed, such as play parks, school grounds, and some beaches during summer.
  • areas where you must keep your dog on a lead, for example, certain cemeteries, churchyards, and promenades during summer.

It is an offence to breach a Public Space Protection Order, and you could be issued with a fixed penalty notice of £75. We always ask that dogs are kept under close control at all times when out on walks.

The following document provides more detail on these laws.

Public Spaces Protection Orders - Dog leaflet (pdf 764kb)

Professional dog walkers

Although the council do not require you to hold a licence, we encourage professional dog walkers to download and follow the good practice guidelines issued by the Dogs Trust, Pet Industry Federation and RSPCA.

Dogs Trust - Professional dog walkers' guidelines (pdf 5.8Mb


There are no specific laws about dogs urinating in public places. Dog owners are always encouraged to be responsible, and considerate to other people's property, whenever walking their dog.

What are parish councils doing to tackle dog fouling problems?

We are working with parish councils to make them aware of how to report offenders to the dog wardens.

We aim to work closely with those we have trained to help reduce the amount of dog fouling in their area, and invitations will be made for parish councils to join the scheme.

Resources for parish councils

Read more about resources for parish councils to tackle dog fouling for information about the support on offer.

Does my dog have to wear a collar and tag?

If in a public place or on a highway, dogs must wear a collar with a tag or badge attached, with the name and address of the owner inscribed on it.

It is also an offence to not have your dog micro-chipped, and you must make sure your contact details are kept up-to-date.

How do I report a missing, stray or dangerous dog?

Please note: if your dog is missing, it should be reported by telephone on (01482) 393939.

To report a dog attack on a pet you can use the above form to contact the council.

To report a dog attack on a person please contact the Police by calling 101.

How we care for stray dogs:

How we care for stray dogs:

We pick up stray dogs from public places where possible, or collect stray dogs that are being held by a member of the public. Detained dogs will be collected between 8.30am - 4.30pm, Monday to Thursday, and 8.30am - 4.00pm on Friday (excluding Bank Holidays, Christmas day and New Year's day when there is no service). If the dog has up to date microchip details or a collar and tag with the owner's name and address, we will return the dog where possible. Otherwise, it will be taken to our holding kennels.

Where they are held

Strays are held in our care at our holding kennels, located at Hull Animal Welfare Trust in South Cave (also known as Sunnydene Animal Shelter):

Hull Animal Welfare Trust

A location map and contact details for Sunnydene Animal Shelter are available below:

Location map and contact details for holding kennels

Dogs will be kept at the kennels for seven days to allow the owners time to collect them. After seven days, we will look to re-home the dog, however, you may still be able to reclaim your dog if it is waiting to be re-homed.


DescriptionCost (£)
Up to 3 days kennelling of stray dogs. VAT N/A75.50
Kennelling ‐ daily rate after 3 days – as per the kennel contract. VAT N/A7.00
Return of dog to owners’ home from kennels plus kennelling charge – to match 1 hours work plus VAT90.60

Other stray animals

If you have found a stray cat or other pet, you may wish to contact the RSPCA or alternatively speak to one of the local animal charities for advice on what to do, some examples are listed below:

RSPCA website

Cats Protection website

Hull Animal Welfare Trust website

Jerry Green Dog Rescue website

Banned dogs

It is a criminal offence to own or keep any of the following types of dog, unless exempt:

  • Pit Bull Terrier
  • Japanese Tosa
  • Dogo Argentino
  • Fila Brasileiro
  • XL Bully.

Such dogs should be reported to the Police by calling 101.

Does the council re-home dogs?

No, we do not re-home dogs from our holding kennels. Stray dogs that are left unclaimed are sent to dog re-homing charities.

Animal welfare charities

You may want to speak to an animal welfare charity or rescue centre if you are thinking of offering a dog a new home, and some examples are provided below.

RSPCA website

Hull Animal Welfare Trust website

Jerry Green Dog Rescue website

What is the law on micro-chipping my dog?

All dogs aged 8 weeks and over must be micro-chipped. To be considered as micro-chipped, a micro-chip must have been implanted into your dog and your details recorded on an approved database.

Please make sure your dog is registered on a government-approved database.

Read more about getting your dog micro-chipped on the GOV.UK website

Please note: if your dog does not have a microchip, or if the contact details on the chip are not kept up to date, you may be served a notice giving you 21 days to comply. If you do not comply with the notice, you could face a fine of up to £500 on conviction.

Why micro-chip?

Why micro-chip?

Micro-chipping your dog ensures that you can be easily traced should they ever be lost or stolen. A small chip is inserted under your dog's skin, which can be read by a special scanner to quickly find its owner's name and address. Prices will vary between providers, but will typically cost less than £20. Some organisations may offer free micro-chipping events. Dogs on a highway or in a public place must also wear a collar and tag with the name and address of the owner inscribed.

How do I update my details?

It is important that you keep a record of your dog's micro-chip ID or reference number and the database it is registered on, so that your contact details can be kept up to date. For example, if you move house or change telephone number these must be changed on the database. You may have to pay a fee for updating details. If you are not sure what details are on your dog's micro-chip you can contact the database holder, or speak to your local vet or animal charity to see if they can check the details for you.

Does the council offer dog neutering and micro-chipping?


We do not offer help with neutering dogs. Please contact your vet to arrange this.


We do not carry out micro-chipping, however we arrange events where micro-chipping takes place, and these will be advertised locally when on offer. You should contact your vet to arrange for your dog to be micro-chipped. Some organisations and animal charities also offer micro-chipping programmes.

Do I need a dog breeding licence?

If you want to breed dogs for commercial sale you must have a dog breeding licence.

Read more about dog licencing.

How do I report animal cruelty?

If you are concerned about the treatment or welfare of a pet, you should contact the RSPCA:

RSPCA website

Read more about concerns regarding livestock.

How do I report a non-urgent issue or ask for advice?

Report a non-urgent issue or get advice from the dog warden

There is also lots of guidance available on dogs and pet ownership on the RSPCA website, Dogs Trust website and Kennel Club UK website.

Dogs Trust campaigns

The Dogs Trust are currently running campaigns to help people become responsible dog owners.

Information about their free workshops for schools and communities can be found on the Learn with the Dogs Trust website.

The 'It's a Pup's Life' campaign is aimed at new owners of puppies, and the 'Woof, Waggle and Waistline' campaign is aimed at tackling obesity in dogs.

They are offering dog owners free information packs to support these campaigns, which can be obtained by contacting the Dogs Trust directly:

Tel: (01325) 335055

You can also download helpful advice booklets from the Dogs Trust website.

Subscribe to East Riding of Yorkshire Council

Stay updated on the latest East Riding news

We use GovDelivery to send you emails, which is secure and you can choose to stop receiving emails at any time.

Find out more in our Privacy notice.

Subscribe to East Riding News