Building applications

Information about full plans and building notice applications, making a building control application, building regulations application cost, what a certificate of completion is and what a regularisation certificate is.

What is a Full Plans Application?

This application is suitable for either domestic or commercial works and includes plans, specifications, and where necessary structural calculations.

The details are checked to make sure they comply with the regulations. Once the application is checked and found to be satisfactory it will be approved. If not a letter will be sent, usually within 10 to 15 days after receipt of the application, advising what amendments and or additional information are required to enable an approval to be issued. If no response is received or the revisions submitted are not satisfactory we may have no alternative than to reject the application.


  • A full plans application can be used to get an accurate quote from builders
  • The council must check your application and make a decision within statutory time limits
  • Your builder works from approved plans so there is less chance of work having to be corrected during construction
  • A full plans application may be necessary when borrowing money from a bank or building society to pay for the building work, as they usually ask to see an approval notice before they advance any funds
  • An approval notice is issued which can then be passed onto any future purchaser of the premises


  • There may be a delay while your surveyor or architect, for which they will charge a fee, prepares plans. However, plans may already have been prepared for the planning application, where necessary, which may just require the addition of technical details and sectional drawings

Further information on building regulations can be obtained from the Planning Portal.

Planning Portal (external website)

What is a Building Notice Application?

Building notice applications should only be used for work which is not complex and by people experienced in construction. They can only be used for domestic and not commercial work.

A building notice application must be submitted at least 48 hours prior to work commencing. The notice will be checked and if found to be satisfactory a letter will be sent acknowledging the application. Applications for extensions over public sewers cannot be accepted, as plans are required by Yorkshire Water, who own the sewers. A full plans application will be required in this instance.


  • Only a site plan needs to be prepared but sometimes detailed plans and calculations are required to support the application.
  • The time taken to process and acknowledge your application is less than a full plans application.


  • The fees for a building notice application are exactly the same as a full plans application, but you should note that the plan and inspection fee are paid on deposit of the application. These are non-refundable.
  • A building notice will make it difficult for your builder to give an accurate quote for your work.
  • A building notice is not acceptable or appropriate for commercial buildings or complex projects.
  • Plans are not checked for compliance with the building regulations and no approval notice is issued, which may lead to work having to be altered on site and could increase the cost of the scheme.

Please note: once your application has been received and processed, you or your agent will receive an acknowledgement letter or email. This can be up to three or four working days after you submitted the application.

Whether you choose to submit a full plans application or a building notice the work will be inspected as work progresses and subject to a satisfactory final inspection by building control a certificate of completion will be issued. Without this certificate it will be difficult to sell the property in the future.

Further information on Building Regulations can be obtained from the Planning Portal:

Planning Portal (external website)

How do I make a building control application?

As part of the building control service to ensure that your particular building work complies with the regulations you may need to submit some forms. 

 If you wish to make an application via electronic means, please download the relevant form below and simply email the completed form, plans etc to:

Email:  building.control@eastriding.gov.uk 

with contact details. 

One of our officers will then contact you to arrange payment of any required fees.

Application Forms (print or email)

Full Plans, Building Notice and Regularisation Application Form and Guidance Notes (pdf 171kb)

Fee Sheet and Guidance Notes (pdf 157kb)

Replacement Windows Application Form (pdf 47kb)

Extra Services Application Form (pdf 52kb)

Submit by post

You can download the forms above and submit the hard copy along with cheque to:

Building Control
County Hall
East Riding of Yorkshire
HU17 9BA.

Extra Services

Building control at East Riding of Yorkshire Council now offers additional services and specialist services including Standard Assessment Procedure Calculations, Energy Performance Certificates, Display Energy Certificates,  Air Testing. 

How much does a building regulations application cost?

The building (Local Authority Charges) Regulations 2010 are currently in force.

The Building Control Service has to set a fee charging scheme which will, over a three year accountancy period, recover the cost of providing fee related work.

All types of application (Full Plans, Building Notice, Regularisation, Replacement Windows and Additional Specialist Services) can be found on our charges sheet.

Arrangements for stage or phased payments can be made. For commercial developments please contact the Building Control Service to discuss any special requirements you may have.

View the latest Building Control service charges:

Fee Sheet and Guidance Notes (pdf 109kb) 

What is a Certificate of Completion?

One of the most important documents issued by building control is the completion certificate. This is the final stage in the application procedure completing the process.

Building control officers carry out on-site inspections at various stages of construction and on satisfactory completion of the work, a Completion Certificate is issued. This certificate gives the date of the final inspection carried out and states that, as far as can be reasonably ascertained, the work carried out conforms to the building regulations.

The importance of a completion certificate cannot be over-emphasised. It verifies that a property complies with legal guidelines and has been subject to building regulations. For this reason it also facilitates the conveyancing process for all those involved ie. house owners, developers, solicitors, banks, building societies and purchasers.

As the final part of the process, a completion certificate is forwarded to the applicant, following a satisfactory final inspection. Further copies may be issued on request subject to a charge.

What is a Regularisation Certificate?

If you have already carried out work to your property and were then advised that you needed approval, this is the application that needs to be used.

For any work carried out after 11 November 1985 it is possible to apply to us for a regularisation certificate. The application should include the application form, a plan of the unauthorised work, and a charge. This type of application is, however, exempt from VAT.

After acceptance of the application, we may require the applicant to take such steps as are necessary to ensure that the relevant requirements of the building regulations are met. These could include, opening up the unauthorized work for inspection, making tests or taking samples.

We will notify the applicant of any work that is required to be carried out to show compliance or if no work is required.

Should the relevant requirements of the building regulations be satisfied or if no work is required, we will issue a Regularisation Certificate.

Can I view an application register?

You can view a history of building control applications by using the application register. You can search by entering a keyword, application reference, postcode or single line of an address. The register opens in a new window.

Please note: this register is only a record of electronically recorded applications, so for information regarding older applications please contact us online.

Who owns and maintains the sewers and drains?

On 1 October 2011 the ownership and maintenance of many private sewers and lateral drains, which were connected to the public sewerage system before 1 July, transferred to water and sewerage companies (WaSCs).

East Riding of Yorkshire Council is working closely with Yorkshire Water as this could have a major impact on developments which will be built within close proximity of a public sewer. Upon deposit we now have to consult with Yorkshire Water on all relevant applications.

We will check the public sewer records on all appropriate applications, when they are received and make applicant/agents aware if their development is to be built over or within 3m of a sewer which is shown on the record.  The problem at present is that sewers created by the transfer are not yet shown on the public sewer record, and will not be for some time.   This is why a consultation has to be sent to Yorkshire Water, who may contact the agent/ applicants directly to request further details.

It could also be that sewers are found when works start on site, in which case we ask the developer to contact Yorkshire Water, to obtain their advice.  This could result in works being stopped until consent is received from Yorkshire Water.

Should you have any queries please contact Yorkshire Water:

Yorkshire Water Services
Development Services
Sewerage Technical Team
PO Box 52
BD3 7AY.

Tel: 0845 120 8482

Where can I view sewer maps?

Sewer maps can be viewed on the Peoples Network computers at Brough, Market Weighton or Pocklington. The Yorkshire Water mapping system is also available to view in our Customer Service Centres with building control staff available to help should they be required at the Beverley Customer Service Centre