Explains what to do if you want to carry out demolition works, what does not require demolition notice, what are the requirements of demolition and is there a charge.

What should I do if I wish to carry out demolition works?

If you intend to demolish the whole or part of a building you are legally required to inform the council's building control team by applying for a 'demolition notice'.

About demolition notices

The Building Act 1984 contains provisions that enable local authorities to control demolition works for the protection of public safety and to ensure adjoining premises and the site are made good on completion of the demolition. We do this by issuing a 'notice of conditions' which requires certain works to be undertaken to achieve these aims. 

Apply to carry out demolition works

The fee for a demolition application is £220 which must be paid during the online application by debit or credit card.

Apply and pay for a demolition notice

What happens next

Once we receive an application for demolition works, we will issue a counter notice, and undertake site visits to ensure the demolition is carried out safely. 

Copies of the demolition notice will also be sent to: 

  • YEDL
  • United Utilities Operations
  • The Fire Safety Service
  • The Planning Section
  • Yorkshire Water Services Ltd
  • Any adjacent occupiers
  • The Conservation Department
  • The Health and Safety Executive
  • Street Naming and Numbering
  • Neighbours

What work does not require a demolition notice to Building Control?

Notification of a demolition is not required where:

  • the building is less than 1750 cubic feet, measured externally (approximately 50 cubic metres)
  • the demolition is of an internal part of any occupied building, which is intended to remain occupied
  • the building is a greenhouse, conservatory, shed or prefabricated garage, even if the building forms part of a larger building
  • certain agricultural building, unless it is near or touching another building that is not an agricultural building
  • a demolition order under the Housing Act 1985 has been served. 

What are the requirements of a demolition?

 You may be required:

  • to shore up any building adjacent to the building to which the notice relates
  • to weatherproof any surfaces of an adjacent building which are exposed by the demolition
  • to repair and make good any damage to an adjacent building caused by the demolition or by the negligent act or of any person engaged in it
  • to remove material or rubbish resulting from the clearance and demolition of the site
  • to disconnect and seal, at such points as the council may reasonably require, any sewer or drain in or under the building
  • to remove any such sewer or drain and seal any sewer or drain with which the sewer or drain to be removed is connected
  • to make good to the satisfaction of the council the surface of the ground disturbed by the demolition
  • to make arrangements with relevant statutory undertakers for the disconnection of the supply of gas, electricity and water to the building
  • to make such arrangements with regard to the burning of structures or materials on site as may be reasonably required, if the building forms part of special premises by the Health & Safety Executive and the Fire Authority, in any other case by the Fire Authority.