Conservation areas

Information about what a conservation area is, conservation area consent application, how to access the application, what is the cost, what to do if it is refused, viewing applications, who to contact, changing your windows, conservation area appraisal and how to comment on draft area appraisals. 

What is a conservation area?

Instead of protecting an individual building, a conservation area seeks to preserve an area's whole character. This character can be made up of buildings, spaces between buildings, views, paving materials, trees and boundary features. The objective of defining a conservation area is to provide for the preservation and enhancement of the special interest of the place. The intention is not to stifle change, but to provide for the positive management of these unique areas.

In the East riding there are a variety of conservation areas ranging from town centres to rural settlements.

There are stricter planning controls over new development within a conservation area.

There are stricter limitations on the extent of development that can be carried out under 'permitted development' regulations, particularly in relation to dwelling houses. These restrictions include a smaller limit on extensions before planning permission is needed and greater control over garden buildings and structures and satellite dishes.

The council has a duty to enhance, where possible, conservation areas and will do this in a number of ways. For example, grant schemes for the repair of buildings were run in the past in some of the larger conservation areas such as Hornsea, Howden and Market Weighton.

There are specific planning references in the four local plans covering East Riding of Yorkshire Council area which place greater considerations on applications within and adjacent to conservation areas. The 105 currently designated conservation areas vary both in character and in size and include, for example, the centres of most of the towns in the East Riding of Yorkshire area including Beverley, Driffield, Market Weighton, Pocklington, Hedon, Hornsea, Howden and Snaith: and smaller villages such as Atwick, Adlingfleet, Hotham etc.

The council will also, from time to time, consider new designations of areas which have special architectural or historic interest that would benefit from further protection. 

The following document gives more details about conservation areas. 

Conservation area brochure (pdf 532kb opens in new window)

Trees within conservation areas are also protected.

Is my house/site in a Conservation Area?

All of the 105 conservation areas in the East Riding have conservation area appraisals, which include a plan showing their boundaries.  You can check whether your house, site or other building is inside a conservation area by looking at the plan for the relevant settlement, which is normally the final page(s) of the appraisal.

What constitutes the requirement for demolition consent within a conservation area?

From 1 October 2013, the Enterprise and Regulatory Reform Act came into force. This Act changes the requirements for a separate application to be made for conservation area consent for demolition. From 1 October 2013, full planning permission will be required for the demolition of buildings within conservation areas, instead of conservation area consent.

Full planning permission for demolition in a conservation area will be required if the building to be demolished is 115 cubic metres or more, the demolition works would have to be substantial or complete (i.e more than 50% of the building to be demolished), and if the building in question is used for the purposes of agriculture, permission for demolition is only required if the building was erected before 1914.

I want to do some work on my unlisted building which is in a conservation area, who do I need to contact?

If a building is not listed but in a conservation area we can only comment on applications which require some kind of planning permission. It is therefore advisable to contact the planning and development management section first to establish whether a scheme requires planning permission or associated approvals. To find out whether planning permission is needed pre-application guidanceis available.

I want to change the windows on my building, what do I have to do?

Advice for a listed building

If your property is listed, changes to the windows will require approval through listed building consent before you start working on them. However, if you do minor repairs on a strict like for like basis, no consent would be required. We would like to ensure that historic joinery details are preserved and would not be in a position to accept modern materials like UPVC.

There are several ways of improving the insulation of traditional windows which in some cases do not require approval through listed building consent and we are happy to advise you.

What is a conservation area appraisal?

To define why an area is of special architectural interest, the Government required local planning authorities to undertake an appraisal for each conservation area. This process is now almost complete for East Riding of Yorkshire Council. All of the 105 conservation areas have conservation area appraisals.

These appraisals were approved after having gone through a consultation process.

Draft conservation area appraisals which are currently open for public comment can be viewed online.

How do I comment on draft conservation area appraisals?

Before a conservation area appraisal is adopted a draft appraisal is made available for public consultation purposes.

The closing dates for consultation and details for contacting the conservation team by email are shown on the final text page of each individual appraisal. 

Please note: that these documents will not come into force until the consultation stage is completed and they have been ratified by East Riding of Yorkshire Council. They will then be included with the other  adopted conservation area appraisals.