After you apply for planning permission

Find out how your planning application is reviewed, how residents are consulted on your plans and what to do if it is turned down.

Once received, your application is assessed to make sure it is valid. Invalid applications may not have correct elevation plans, scales could be incorrect, the fee may not have been paid etc.

Only valid applications will be added into the planning register, given an application number and subsequently assessed. 

How is my application processed?

We consult with the public

Once validated, your application will be the subject of consultation and publicity. We have to give a minimum of 21* days for consultation responses. We publish the responses once received and checked for inappropriate content, so you can read these and respond if considered necessary.

*21 days is the standard consultation period, however if this period includes bank holidays, the consultation period will be extended by the number of bank holidays. 

We visit the application location

The case officer will visit the application site, and consider the proposal against national and local planning policies. A report is prepared which considers all relevant planning matters, including any consultation responses.  

We consider the proposal against planning policies

All applications are assessed against national and local planning policies. 

Read more in-depth information about these planning policies.

If there is an issue with the application

If the case officer considers that the application can be amended to make it acceptable, then we will contact you (or your agent) to discuss this. If you are prepared to agree an amendment, we may have to re-consult before making a final decision. If further information is required to overcome concerns we will ask for this. 

Who makes the decision

Either a planning officer or the planning committee will then make a decision about your application. Read more about this in the question below.

Who makes the decision on my application?

Applications are determined in one of two ways, either through the officer delegation procedure (whereby applications are determined by officers without reference to a committee) or by submission to the relevant planning committee

Approximately 87% of applications are determined through the officer delegation procedure. 


Applications that are to be determined at committee will go to one of three committees:

All persons who commented on an application together with the agent and applicant (if an agent has not been employed) will be notified of their  right to speak at a planning committee by letter. The letter will communicate how the right to speak can be triggered and the date, time and location of the committee meeting that the application will be submitted to. 

How long will it take to process my application?

We aim to determine most applications within 8 weeks, but if further information or amendments are required before we can approve a scheme, we may have to ask for your agreement to go beyond this period. 

Major applications (such as proposals for more than 10 houses or more than 1000sqm of floor space) will take longer, and whilst 13 weeks is the period we will aim for, extensions of time are likely to be needed – particularly if any legal agreements will need to be signed before a decision can be issued. Major applications with an EIA submission can take 16 weeks.

Inevitably, when applications need to go to a planning committee they will take longer, but only contentious applications and large scale applications will normally be referred to committee.

Current timescales

The council's current target is for 75% or above of major applications to be determined within the above 13 or 16 week period.

For minor applications, the current target is to determine 75% or above of applications within the 8 week target period.

For other applications, the current target is to determine 86% or above of applications within the 8 week target period. The table below shows the current and previous year's performance against these targets:

Application determination performance

Major applications (target 75%)

Current Performance: 90% 

Minor applications (target 75%)

Current Performance: 81%  

Other applications (target 86%)

Current Performance: 90%

How will I find out if my application is approved?

Once we have determined your application (ie made a decision on it), we will send you (or your agent) a 'decision notice' by:

  • email (if you have applied online or supplied an email address); and
  • by post.

You, and members of the public, can also see the decision notice on the council’s planning website, Public Access:

View planning decisions – Public Access (external East Riding website)

Who is informed of my planning application?

Once submitted, your application will be given an application number which can be disclosed to you, your agent or third parties.

Once validated, your planning application and associated documents are published on the council's website, Public Access.  A site notice will also be erected at the site address informing residents of your proposal.

We will always consult the relevant Parish or Town Council, and dependent on the type of application (for example, where new connections to drainage are required) we will also consult relevant statutory bodies such as the Environment Agency and Yorkshire Water.

In some cases, such as in a conservation area, we are also required to publish a press notice. We have to give a minimum of 21* days to receive responses from the public. We publish the responses once received so you can read these and respond if considered necessary. These responses are published on the public access website.

*21 days is the standard consultation period, however if this period includes bank holidays, the consultation period will be extended by the number of bank holidays.

Sign up to receive notifications from the Public Access website.

My application has been approved but with 'planning conditions'. What are they?

Planning permission will usually be subject to 'planning conditions'. These conditions will always include:

  • the approved plans which you must adhere to
  • the period (usually three years) during which the permission is valid* 

*If you do not commence work within this time the permission will not be valid.  

Conditions may also require the submission of further details, such as landscaping and materials, before development commences. 

Finally, conditions may also restrict what can be done, for example restricting the hours of operation, or requiring the retention of obscure glazed windows where a window may cause a lack of privacy for neighbours.

Ensure you comply with any planning conditions

It is important to check if any conditions, such as materials and landscaping, need to be met before development commences. If this is the case you will need to complete an application to 'discharge'  any conditions (ie approve the submitted details) and submit the appropriate information. 

Apply online

You can only apply to discharge planning conditions online:

Apply to discharge your planning conditions - Planning Portal (external website)

After you have filled in your address details, the form you will need to select from the dropdown menu is 'Approval of details reserved by condition'.

Please note: there is a fee for this service which will depend on the type of application you have submitted. This can be paid online and will be determined when you submit your application.

Appeal against planning conditions

If you don't agree with the planning conditions imposed, you may be able to revise your application or appeal against the conditions. Read the question below for more information.

What should I do if I don't agree with your decision?

If you are refused planning permission or disagree with any planning conditions imposed, you have a right to appeal. However, you are advised to discuss the reasons with the case officer who dealt with your application, as it may be possible that a revised application would overcome any issues.

You may be able to re-submit for free, but your case officer will be able to advise.

Your case officer will be able to advise how to re-submit your application - whether it was online or by post.

Making an appeal

If you are unable to overcome any issues following discussion with your case officer, you can make an appeal:

Appeal online or by post - Planning Portal (external website)

Are there any regulationsI need to follow when I begin building work?

Most building work is subject to the building regulations and the Building Act 1984 whereby building control approval will need to be obtained. Building control provide an independent check that the building regulations have been complied with.

It may be that your proposal requires building regulations approval. You can find out if you need this by visiting the building control pages which deal with different types of building work.

Read more about building regulations.