Find out if you need planning permission for alterations to your house

From porches to extensions - find out if you'll need to apply for planning permission.

Will I need planning permission for alterationsto my home?

There are many alterations you can carry out on your home. We have listed the most common on this page and have provided direct links to further help.

Take a look round an interactive house

A good starting point is to browse the 'interactive houses' and 'common building projects' on the Planning Portal Website, which provide planning information for every possible kind of property alteration - both internal and external as well as alterations to shops.

Interactive Houses and Common building projects - Planning Portal (external website)

Still not sure? Let us help

We can tell you if you need planning permission.

Will I need planning permission for an extension?

You would probably expect all extensions to require planning permission, but they won't if they are classed as a 'permitted development' and adhere to the following criteria:

Find out if your extension is a 'permitted development' (external website)

Are you building a single storey, rear extension?

If your extension is only going to be on the ground floor at the back of your house, special rules regarding size apply. Read about single storey rear extensions below.

Don't think your plans are a 'permitted development'?

If your plans don't comply with the permitted development criteria (ie you want to build bigger), you will need to  apply for planning permission.

Still not sure? Let us help

We can tell you if you need planning permission.

Will I need planning permission for a single storey rear extension?

In addition to the normal 'permitted development' rights discussed above, there is a new procedure available to home owners:

Increased extension sizes 

You can build the following 'single storey rear' extensions without the need for planning permission:

  • for a detached house – the permitted extension is normally 4 metres beyond the rear wall of the house – you can now double up to 8 metres
  • for all other houses – the permitted extension is normally 3 metres beyond the rear wall of the house – you can double up to 6 metres

However, to take advantage of these increased sizes, you must get prior approval from the council by informing us of your plans. This is so we can inform your neighbours who you share a boundary with and allow them to object if they oppose them.  

This service is free of charge:

Learn how to get approval for your single storey rear extension

Please note: This procedure is NOT available for any house in a Conservation Area.  

Want to build bigger?

If you want to build bigger than the increased sizes above, or your plans aren't classed as a permitted development, you will need to submit a full planning application.

Still not sure? Let us help

We can tell you if you need planning permission.

Will I need planning permission for a dropped kerb?

Planning permission is only needed for new vehicular access onto a classified road (e.g. roads numbered with an A, B or C - such as 'A614'). Most houses on an estate will not need planning permission.  

However, all works on a public highway will need the council's agreement and you will need to purchase a 'Vehicular Access Pack' which will give you more information about getting a dropped kerb.

This pack, which costs £40, explains the council's requirements and the procedure to be followed. 

You can order and pay in one of two ways:

  • credit/debit card or cheque at any customer service centre 
  • credit/debit card by calling Customer Services on (01482) 393939 - Select Option 6 then Option 4.

Your pack will then be posted out to you.

Please note: all construction costs must be borne by yourself and there will be a further fee of £107, for inspections, if the proposal goes ahead. Additional charges may apply if a Traffic Regulation Order is affected (eg: removal of parking bay).

Removing trees?

If your proposed work involves the removal of trees, you should first check if the trees are protected by a Tree Preservation Order or protected by virtue of the property being within a Conservation Area. This can be done by contacting us:

Email: treesandlandscape@eastriding.gov.uk 

Tel: (01482) 393637 or (01482) 393635

More information can be found on the trees and hedges page.  

Still not sure? Let us help

We can tell you if you need planning permission.

Will I need planning permission for a new house? 

You will definitely need planning permission to build a new house, but there is also a lot more to consider. There is a new website dedicated to providing information, advice and services for those who wish to build their own home:

The Self Build Portal (external website)

Read more about making a ' full planning application' for a new build.

Will I need planning permission for converting a house to flats?

Yes, you will require 'full' permission if the conversion would result in any additional units of residential accommodation. Read more at:

Planning permission for flats – Planning Portal (external website)

Read more about making a 'full planning application'. 

Still not sure? Let us help

We can tell you if you need planning permission.

Will I need planning permission for changes to a flat?

Yes. You will need 'full' planning permission for anything which changes the way the flat looks from the outside. This includes changes such as new windows (but not the replacement of existing windows), external painting and satellite dishes.

Read more at:

Planning permission for flats – Planning Portal (external website)

Read more about making a ' full planning application'. 

Still not sure? Let us help

We can tell you if you need planning permission.

I'm still not sure if I need permission. Can you help? 

Yes, of course. It's better to be safe than sorry when it comes to planning permission.

You can submit your proposals for confirmation as to whether you need to make a formal planning application. There are two methods of doing so:

Option 1 - Lawful Development Certificate

There is a national procedure, called a Lawful Development Certificate, which is a formal application via the Planning Portal. Fees vary, but a house extension application will cost £86.  Full plans of the existing and proposed development have to be provided, and as the Council has to consult on these applications any determination can take up to 8 weeks.  For these reasons we do not recommend this option, and it is only very rarely used in the East Riding.

Lawful Development Certificates - Planning Portal (external website)

Option 2 - Council service (recommended) 

The council provides a cheaper and quicker service, which confirms whether your alterations require planning permission. The cost of this service is £60 (inc VAT).  You only need to provide sketch plans so long as dimensions are clearly indicated (in metres not feet).  The council will normally let you know within 14 days of receipt whether you need to apply for planning permission.

Our response will also provide advice on whether Building Regulation approval will be required, which the Lawful Development Certificate cannot provide.  

Our response provides written proof if your plans do not require permission. This is useful when you come to sell your home or if neighbours enquire whether planning permission was needed.

Click on the link below to enquire as to whether your proposal will need Planning Permission and/or Building Regulation approval. 

Check if you need planning permission

Completing the form

Click on the 'householder' option if your proposal is for a house extension or alteration and fill in the relevant information. 

For other proposals, click on the 'non-householder' option.

Can you give me an idea if my plans will get permission?

Yes. Details of the charges can be found on the fees page.

Once you know you will need to apply for planning permission (we can tell you if you need planning permission), we can check if your plans are likely to be approved before you make the formal application. This pre-application advice can save you time and money submitting an unacceptable or incorrect planning application.

Submit the outline of your plans to us, using the form below:

Find out if your plans will be approved

Whilst the plans don't need to be the final drawings, the more detailed information you supply, the better the advice we can give. 

If you are proposing to extend your house, the council has prepared guidance on what would normally be acceptable:

Extensions in the East Riding (pdf 292kb)

Can you offer me advice on my major planning proposal?

Major applications relate to residential development of more than 10 dwellings or other uses where; the site area is more than 1 hectare, the proposed floor space is 1000m2 or greater or the development is for a wind turbine greater than 55 metres to tip height.

Use this form below to submit a pre-application enquiry when you know planning permission will be required and your proposal meets or exceeds the above "major applications" criteria.

Pre-application enquiry form for major schemes

Read more about this pre-application enquiry procedure and how much it costs.

Where the number of dwellings is not known, the fee will be calculated on an assumed net density of 30 dwellings per hectare.

Planning performance agreements

Planning performance agreements (PPAs) are a framework for local authorities and applicants to agree on how development proposals should be managed through the planning process. They are a useful tool for good development management and are appropriate for those who require ongoing advice on complex proposals. 

There are a number of benefits of using PPAs which include:

  • reduced risk and increased certainty 
  • early identification of issues  
  • improved partnership working.

If you are interested in entering into a PPA with the Planning Service please look at our PPA template that sets out the key elements of the PPA procedure and how much it costs.

Planning performance agreement template (word 109kb)

Mineral and waste proposals

These forms can be downloaded for completion and returned to the planning section with the major pre-application enquiry forms. These forms request specialist information only relevant to mineral and waste proposals: 

Supplementary minerals pre-application form (pdf 66kb)

Supplementary waste disposal pre-application form (pdf 66kb)