Yes, you will need to supply evidence when applying for a disabled person’s local travel pass.
If you are renewing a pass and your address has changed, you'll need to provide proof of your new address.
Proof of address:
Council tax bill dated within the last 12 months
Bank statement dated within the last 3 months
Utility bill dated in the last 3 months
Award letter from the Service Personnel and Veteran Agency dated within the last 12 months
Benefit award letter from the Department of Work and pensions dated within the last 12 months
- Confirmation letter from social services or another local authority service that confirms that the applicant is a resident
- Local Housing Allowance or other benefit award letter dated within the last 12 months
- Pensions letter from the Pension Service dated within the last 12 months.
Supporting evidence of sight disability:
- Proof of being registered as severely sight impaired on the local authority social services register
- Certificate of Vision Impairment (CVI) signed by a consultant ophthalmologist with severed sight impaired (blind) ticked
- Written confirmation from an optometrist that an applicant would qualify to be registered as severely sight impaired (blind)
Supporting evidence of hearing disability:
- Proof of being registered on the local authority social services register as profoundly or severely deaf
- Audiological report from an aural specialist indicating hearing loss has reached 70-95 dBHL (severely deaf) or 95+dBHL (profoundly deaf)
- Written confirmation from an aural specialist that an applicant would qualify to be registered as profoundly or severely deaf
Supporting evidence of limbless disability:
- Proof of being registered as limbless on the local authority social services register
- Written confirmation of artificial limb from artificial limb unit
Supporting evidence of severe learning disability:
- An assessment by a specialist Learning Disability officer from Futures Plus
- A letter from a specialist doctor, independent health professional, or registered medical practitioner
- A statement of SEN (for children under the age of 14).
We need a recent photo of you for your travel pass. This should show your head and shoulders and have a plain, light-coloured background. You must be facing forward and looking straight into the camera. It should be:
- maximum size: 20MB
- file options allowed: JPG.
Please refer to the bus pass photograph guide for more information about acceptable photographs for your bus pass:
Bus pass photograph guide (pdf 108kb)
We can link your travel pass to your library account so you can use it instead of your library card. If you would like to do this, you will need your library card number when filling the online form.
Your pass will be sent to your home address at no charge.
Please note: if you cannot provide the evidence requested, you may submit alternative evidence which we may or may not consider.
Applying at a customer service centre?
If you are applying at a customer service or multi-service centre, the staff may have the facilities to take a photograph of you but you should check before you go.