English national bus pass

Bus pass entitlement, how to apply, using your pass and how to get a replacement. 

Am I entitled to a bus pass?

The bus pass is available to:

  • people of pensionable age (read more in the pdf document below this list)
  • seriously injured service personnel and veterans who have been awarded a lump sum payment under the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme
  • a person having a learning disability
  • blind or partially-sighted
  • profoundly or severely deaf
  • a person who is medically unfit to drive on grounds other than those of persistent misuse of drugs or alcohol for a minimum of not less than a year
  • a person without speech which includes those unable to communicate orally in any language
  • a person who has a disability or has suffered an injury which has a substantial and long-term adverse effect on their ability to walk.

 Use the table below to work out if and when you are eligible for a bus pass.

Bus pass eligibility dates
Born from To Eligible on
6 October 1952 5 November 1952 6 May 2015 
6 November 1952 5 December 1952 6 July 2015
6 December 1952 5 January 1952 6 September 2015 
6 January 1953 5 February 1953 6 November 2015
6 February 1953 5 March 1953 6 January 2016
6 March 1953 5 April 1953 6 March 2016 
6 April 1953 5 May 1953 6 July 2016
6 May 1953 5 June 1953 6 November 2016
6 June 1953 5 July 1953 6 March 2017
6 July 1953 5 August 1953 6 July 2017
6 August 1953 5 September 1953 6 November 2017 
6 September 1953 5 October 1953 6 March 2018 
6 October 1953 5 November 1953 6 July 2018
6 November 1953 5 December 1953 6 November 2018
6 December 1953 5 January 1953 6 March 2019
6 January 1954 5 February 1954 6 May 2019
6 February 1954 5 March 1954 6 July 2019
6 March 1954 5 April 1954 6 September 2019
6 April 1954 5 May 1954 6 November 2019
6 May 1954 5 June 1954 6 January 2020
6 June 1954 5 July 1954 6 March 2020
6 July 1954 5 August 1954 6 May 2020
6 August 1954 5 September 1954 6 July 2020
6 September 1954 6 October 1954 6 September 2020

Evidence will be required of a person’s eligibility, for a pensioner, this will be proof of age and proof of residency in the East Riding. For applications other than on the grounds of age, proof of disability will be required.

Eligible applicants who reside on a caravan site within the East Riding may apply for a pass, providing this is their primary residence and that they reside there for longer than 6 months in any 12 month period.

Mental health

People with mental health problems are not eligible for a pass unless they are medically unfit to drive.

Disabled applicants

Disabled applicants must be of fare paying age, so children can apply for these passes.

How do I apply for a bus pass?

You can apply for your national bus pass at any customer service centre, library or mobile library. Alternatively, please contact us (01482) 395531 and we will post a form to you. Upon completion you will need to return it to either a customer service centre, library or mobile library  with the required supporting information below.

If you move into the East Riding from another local authority area you should apply for a new bus pass with the East Riding. Once you receive your new bus pass you must return your old pass to the local authority that issued it. 

Unfortunately it isn't possible to apply for a bus pass online because of the sensitive supporting information that is required. Online application is a service we are currently investigating and want to offer residents in the future.

Supporting information required

You will also need to:

  • supply a passport sized photograph;
  • provide proof of age (for example, birth certificate, pension card, driving licence or passport, note this should be an original document);
  • provide proof of residence (for example, driving licence, rent book, bank statement, council tax or utility bill, note this should be an original document). Staff at our customer service centres can also check your residency entitlement on the council tax database, at the request of the applicant.

Your pass will be sent to your home address at no charge.

If you are unable to attend in person your spouse may submit the application on your behalf, providing the proof of eligibility includes a photograph which clearly matches the photograph supplied for your bus pass. However, this will be at the discretion of the issuing officer.

You may also wish to read about applying for a companion entitlement pass, disabled person's pass  or senior railcard .

Where and when can I use my bus pass?

You can use your pass on all local bus services in England between 9.30am and 11pm Monday to Friday and at all times on Saturdays, Sundays and Bank Holidays.

You can use your pass on local bus services in London, however, passes are not accepted on buses in Scotland or Wales.

If you are travelling outside the East Riding you are subject to the conditions of the council where your journey starts. Some may allow travel before 9.30am and travel on trains, but you would need to check with them before making your journey.

How do I renew my bus pass?

When your pass is due to expire you should complete an orange renewal form. These forms are available from customer service centres, libraries and mobile libraries.

Completed forms should be returned to either a customer service centre or library. You can add a new photograph or we can use the photograph on your current pass.

Your new pass will be posted to your home address.

There is no charge to renew your pass.

I have lost my pass, how do I get a replacement?

If you have lost your bus pass, you can request a replacement by either:

We are open Monday to Thursday 8:30am to 5:30pm and Friday 8:30am to 4:30pm.

From 1 April 2017 there will be a charge of £10 for a replacement pass.

Replacement passes will be posted to your home address.